Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

80% sure

Cooter

Not a great picture. Picture of the computer screen. Land owner sent it to me. I am 80% sure of what it is. What are your thoughts? Going to check my cameras hope I have some more and better pictures.

It's definitely a cat, based on the markings on his ears. but I would say bobcat. I've seen similar bobcats that are light gray and barely have any markings.

So other cats don't have those ear markings? Thought bobcats ears were more pointed less rounded?

I see a pointed tuft on the right ear (maybe???). Betting bobcat, based on that and size compared to the weeds/twigs behind it.

So other cats don't have those ear markings? Thought bobcats ears were more pointed less rounded?
I'm not saying it couldn't be any other kind of cat. Bobcats have the white markings on the back of their ears making it appear that they are looking at you when they are actually looking away. If you look through hundreds of pics online it seems mountain lions have either black on the back of their ears or no color at all. Of course I'm just an Iowa boy and haven't seen too many big cats.

Since we are on the subject: Here is a bobcat pic I got a few weeks ago. And me with a couple big cats in Oregon about ten years ago.

Liger haha

I would say its most likely not a bobcat.

the cat Deer Nut is holding in the pic has "pointed" ears too when your looking at it in the pic... but i bet they werent pointed in person. AND also similar color on the ears.

Bobcats have the white markings on the back of their ears making it appear that they are looking at you when they are actually looking away. If you look through hundreds of pics online it seems mountain lions have either black on the back of their ears or no color at all.

Yep, looks like a bobcat ear to me too.

I did look at thousands of pictures on the internet. The few that do show the back of the ears there were white markings.

Ya know I gotta say the sleek features and facial structure sure don't look like a bobcat :)

It's too bad it's a blurry picture. Kind of like all the pictures of Nessy and Bigfoot and UFOs. I'd love to get a trail cam pic of a big cat. That would be exciting but would also make me nervous a s hell walking in and out!

The black white black pattern on the back of the ears is pretty convincing for bobcat.

I will be one of the first to jump on the cougar bandwagon if that is what I think it is. But pretty sure this is a bobcat.

BTW I did see a huge cougar west south west of Lamoni IA about 10 years ago.

Top Bottom