Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

$$$8000 an acre!

hillrunner

PMA Member
I heard yesterday about 110 acres a few miles from my home that went for about 8000 an acre. The ground is in South Dakota near Newton Hills state park. It is almost completely non tillable ground. The new owner bought it as a "recreational property" .Kind of makes the dream of a private hunting paradise seem pretty out of reach for the average hunter.

That's funny, the ranch that I hunt in NW SD, they say land only goes for $250 a acre. It is the biggest county in SD and only a population of 1000.

WOW!!!!!!! $8000 would buy you about 55 acres of the property next door to my place. 130 of it is forest but there is 30 acres or som of alfalfa and about $30000 is the price tag on it... $8000 an acre.........incredible.
confused.gif

could be worse - friend just bought a 1 acre lot to build a new home on here in SE. PA -- $280,000 - bare ground.

could be worse - friend just bought a 1 acre lot to build a new home on here in SE. PA -- $280,000 - bare ground
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
WOW way to much

[ QUOTE ]
could be worse - friend just bought a 1 acre lot to build a new home on here in SE. PA -- $280,000 - bare ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say your friend has more dollars than sense.
grin.gif

Ahhh, ground prices. I've been dealing with that joke for a couple years now. My wife and I own 10 acres north of Sioux City in the Loess Hills. Beautiful land, within 10 min of S.C. on a paved county road. Our plan is to build a log home on the ground. I hunt it now ( the deer in my avatar was taken there.) The 10 acres north of our ground was purchased for $5500.00/acre 3 years ago. It came up for sale last year for $8000.00/acre. It has yet to sell
smirk.gif

The 156 acres west and north of us is coming up for sale soon. We bought our 10acres from the farmer selling the 156 acres. we were told ( by the farmer) that at some point, the land would come up for sale at the price of "unimproved pasture" ( 900-1070.00/acre) The farmer is asking $3300.00/acre....That price happens to be higher than than tillable farmland that produces 160 bushels/acre.

Land is definately short in the supply/demand equation....at least here where I live. Prices of ground and chances/ability to purchase are getting further and futher apart. I feel lucky that we were able to get the ground we have now. We would love to expand, but with the way it going, it won't happen, at least not anytime soon.

$8000 an acre...wow, that's unreal. I do know this, as much as I love my little slice of heaven, if someone stuffed a cool million under my nose for my 125 acres I would have to think about it.
grin.gif

"WOW!!!!!!! $8000 would buy you about 55 acres of the property next door to my place. 130 of it is forest but there is 30 acres or som of alfalfa and about $30000 is the price tag on it... $8000 an acre.........incredible. "

Wow, Id jump at that so fast your head would spin! You obviously dont have the same demand for ground that we experience down here. Im green with envy!
grin.gif

Ghost,

That is indeed a slice (and a nice sized slice at that) of heaven. I love my kids but I sometimes hate to think about what I might be able to own if the family demographics were slightly different. I am jealous.

Top Bottom