Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A Garand Javelina Hunt

AZHunter

Iowa Boy At Heart
My 12-year old son has been fortunate enough to get two javelina in the last two years on opening weekend. His first year, he used his 7mm-08 and that hunt was filmed by The Mountain Project. Last year, he used my AR. After two successful pig hunts using modern rifles and quality optics, he decided he wanted a challenge. He asked me if he could use my 1956 H&R M1 Garand. I couldn't tell him no, but I told him he had to carry that 11-pound beast and he needed to be prepared to not fill a tag due to iron sights and needing to get in close, which I know isn't really a big issue with javelina. We took it out a while back to sight it in for the Barnes VOR-TX 150gr TTSX ammo he'd be hunting with and he was center-punching a 12-inch black splatter target at 100 yards. This was after he took one shot at my 12-inch gong and hit one of the bolts that holds it together, rendering it useless for the rest of the session. Opening weekend took forever to find pigs and ended up with a 6-mile round trip hike in the heat with no food, but plenty of water. Long story short, he didn't get a javelina and we both ended up being thankful. I gave him the choice to switch back to his 7-08 to increase his chances, but he said "I'm using the Garand or nothing!" and was willing to eat tag soup all for the challenge of iron sights!

Yesterday was beyond epic. It was Garand! After last weekend, Jacob showed amazing perseverance and dedication to his commitment. We took off with our friends again to fill two youth javelina tags. Another friend came along to glass. We found a big herd of javelina by 0750 yesterday morning in a STEEP canyon. A little over two hours later, we were above them and had two boys set up at 74 yards on two broadside pigs. Jacob shot first with a solid hit on the rear javelina and our friend's son shot the front pig seconds later for a great double at 1020, including the other boy's first javelina! The pack put was hot and brutal, but we did it. Of course, Jacob had to affix the bayonet I carried for pics! I asked and its not legal to use a bayonet as a method of take in Arizona. I carried it strictly for pictures and he couldn't wait to put it on the rifle.

I can tell you that carrying a quartered javelina and 11-lb (loaded) rifle is not for the meek. The rifle was actually unloaded for the hike out, but a loaded clip doesn't add that much more weight. I'm so stinking proud of Jacob for his perseverance, determination, and commitment to the challenge! A little Beastie Boys made the drive home even more epic! Later last night, after showers and dinner, I walked upstairs to watch a movie with him and found him with his feet in the foot massager!

Jacob Glassing.jpg

Jacob Garand.jpg

Jacob Garand2.jpg

Jacob_Javelina.jpg

Jacob_Javelina_M1.jpg

Jacob_Feet.jpg

Attachments

• Jacob_Javelina_M1 Bayonet.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 13
Atta kid! Great memories and a great piece of history right there!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom