Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A hurtin' buck

Handcannon

Deer season was very warm this year. I bought a new muzzleloader a few years ago & took it along for it's 1st hunt this year. CVA Accura V2 & Barnes MZ 250 w/ 2 T7 50/50 pellets.
Love this gun & bullet.
I made the trip to the other side of the state again. Saw a few deer here & there Saturday morning but nothing of any size. Around 3:30 this broken rack 8pt comes down to the gulley about 65 yds below me & just laid down in the wide open. He laid there for about 1/2 hr & didn't move. Then 2 forkys came down to him & he got up & started eating. The forkys came uphill to me & he started to follow. When he started the incline, he stumbled & almost dropped to his chest. Then he just stood there w/ his head hanging & wouldn't move. I could see the hair above his shoulders was standing straight up across his back above the shoulders. I thought he was injured. I felt bad for him & didn't want him to wander off in pain & die somewhere & didn't like to see him suffer. So at 4:45, I took the shot at 50 yds. He turned & ran about 50 yds. I saw him crash into a brush pile. He has one good antler & it is beyond the ear tip. The other antler was broken off between G1 & the G2 earlier in the year. Turns out that he was not externally injured, must've hurt himself some how. We didn't find any damage to his body or feet when processing him. That Barnes sure did some damage & was just under the skin on the far side of his other front leg. Near perfect expansion.

full
full

full

Awesome job and props to do for doing a great service on hammering him down. Congrats!

You did the right thing. That's what I love about Iowa Whitetail; some quality guys on here for sure. Also, great to see how that Barnes flower petal. I shoot the same bullet and love it downrange.

Well done! Interested to see what kind of table fare he makes. Wife shot an injured/crippled buck a few years ago that was pretty strong flavored. Assume stress related. Can always make pepperoni.

Yep, that's tough to watch. Would have done the same and I'm glad you're out there too. Congrats

I use the same bullets and love them. I am a little surprised you did not have an exit wound, especially at 50 yards. You had great shot placement and obviously the deer expired quickly, but still surprised.

Is that the Barnes Expander? If so, I may try those. I've always used Hornady SST. I've shot deer with them and it put a small hole through, never opened up, and barely any to no blood trail.

Is that the Barnes Expander? If so, I may try those. I've always used Hornady SST. I've shot deer with them and it put a small hole through, never opened up, and barely any to no blood trail.

SST's are usually reallt accurate but as far as bullet perfomance they normally suck... Just like you said your basically shooting a FMJ unless it hits something hard like bone.

Thanks guys!

Yes it is an expander. I do NOT like Hornady bullets for hunting deer. I have tried the XTP in both 44 & 45 cal at 240gr & 300gr, the SST at 250gr, the Monoflex at 250gr. None of them expanded. All complete pass through but very poor bullet performance. The Monoflex & SST both fly very well.

As for this Barnes, they group very well & perform like they should. This particular bullet went through the 1st leg, a rib, blew out part of the heart & lung, another rib, the other front leg & was stuck under the skin on the far side. Almost a pass through. The hole in the 2nd rib was astounding, like it was cut w/ a hole saw, I could fit 2 fingers in the hole.

Top Bottom