Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Abaco Island Bahamas (pt 1)

AZHunter

Iowa Boy At Heart
The week before Christmas, we took a family vacation to Abaco Island in the Bahamas. We stayed at Treasure Cay and it was amazing. Of course, a trip to Abaco isn't complete without a bonefish fishing trip. It's the bonefish capital of the world, after all. The Marls is absolutely amazing. Jacob and I were in one boat and Minnie and Syd were in a different boat.

Catching a bonefish has been a dream of mine since I was at least Jacob's age. Catching one on my fly rod is a relatively recent dream. I opted to forego the flyfishing for bones so that I could fish alongside Jacob. It was worth it all. We were in bones most of the day. I had three bites, but lost them, including a good one that broke my line at the boat. Jacob had a take, but didn't get the hook set enough, but that was enough to get him addicted. During a lull in the bones, I rigged my 9wt for sharks, after seeing multiple 2-4 foot black tips and a couple of -foot bonnet heads 10 feet from the boat. I cast to two different 3-foot black tips and they both turned and followed my fly, but passed it up. Later in the day, I cast to a 4-foot black tip and it took my fly, but I couldn't get the hook set right. The bend in my rod and that tug! But still, it was an amazing experience!

By the end of the day, I won the first fish landed bet, finally catching my first bonefish. Addicting isn't even a good enough adjective. 10 minutes later, I helped Jacob catch his first bone. I knew as soon as I saw it, he'd won the biggest fish bet! Putting my flyfishing dream on hold was worth it all to watch Jacob fall so far in love with fishing. He badly wants to go back after bones. Who can blame him? When we met up back at the boat ramp, I learned that Syd landed a great bone, too. I cannot wait to plan another bonefishing trip! I just wish I could get the videos I took to load.

The Marls
20171219_082637.jpg

Tradition Pic
20171219_092511.jpg

Tailing Bones
20171219_095353.jpg

There's a three-foot black tip shark in the center
20171219_105554.jpg

My first bonefish
20171219_185204.jpg

Jacob fighting his first bonefish
20171219_153601.jpg

Jacob's first bonefish
20171219_153758.jpg

Syd's first bonefish
23903.jpeg

I’m willing to be adopted too!
So- are those eaters? Would those kinda be comparable to “bass fishing” in the Midwest? Congrats to u guys and looks like a blast.

I’m willing to be adopted too!
So- are those eaters? Would those kinda be comparable to “bass fishing” in the Midwest? Congrats to u guys and looks like a blast.

I'd adopt you, too, Skip! Bonefish are horrible eating, I'm told, but they are catch and release only in most places to preserve the fishery.

Top Bottom