Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

acorn crop

G

Was in the timber a bit this weekend and noticed a really good mast of acorns. Just wondering what anyone else has seen...if it is just my location or if it is a good year in general. Thanks!

Must be a good year as we have lots of acorns up here in SD also.

I read in the newspaper yesterday that White Oak acorns are prolific this year. Something about the dry weather? Makes the trees think they need to produce more fruit(acorns). Anyway, I think it's true of the entire midwest and eastern U.S.---wherever white oak habitat occurs.

All the oaks on my place (SE Iowa) are loaded to the max! Unless a wet fall interfere's - farmers are set to have a record early harvest. So I suspect the oak ridges will be hit pretty hard this fall.

Here in NC Iowa, there's a huge mast crop. The oak trees in my yard have dropped so many acorns I can hardly walk across the front yard without falling down. I've lived here for 17 years and have never seen anything like this. I'll bet I could fill my pickup with the acorns from the two trees that reach over my front lawn not to mention 20+ more oaks in the grove. Amazing.

I would sure hate to have to hunt too far in the timber early in the season...especially as dry as it's been. I just figured they are hittin the acorns hard now as I have seen very few deer in the alfalfa before dark.

A bunch here in the east also. I walked a cow path up out of a draw the other day and could have picked them up by the hand full. Seem to be alot of them on the ground already.
In the last few days a bunch of corn has been chopped also.

I've seen more on the ground then are left in the trees. I hope they're not all down before the season starts.

about how long do the acorns usually last up there? i am coming from louisiana to do some bowhunting in late oct til early nov. will there still be some acorns around?

Top Bottom