Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Advice after Bad Encounter

KSHUNTER

PMA Member
Long story short, lost almost all my permission to stuff I hunted for years. Target buck get shot by neighbor, talk to neighbor get a 1000 continuous acres to bowhunt all to myself and is all across the road from my farm. This all happened in last 10 days.

Get cameras up, tons of 2 and 3 year olds, got one picture of a nice 160 type 10 point and seen a slammer from the road. Today is first day I can hunt and got a stand situated on pinch point by deep Creek, set stand in rain last night and first hunt this morning.

Get covered up in does at first light, everything working good, and little bucks start showing. About 8 see a good framed buck cruising away from me but can't see through brush to see what he really is, slam horns and do a quick rattle to try and pull him back. Put horns up glance behind the tree and there's a buck 25 yards away in the brush.

Of course it is a giant, with tons of mass and height, definitely haven't seen him before and he's all types of nervous. To much brush for a shot and he does the stiff legged turn around. Soon as he turns around I can no longer see him, it's super thick. He blows a couple of times and sounds like he walks off.

So I'm guessing he was there when I rattled at other buck and just didn't see him, he definitely wasn't running into the horns.My tree was blocking at least part of his view of me, tree is 2' wide at stand height, definitely never smelled me, could have seen some movement from hanging horns up.

So would you move the stand? Try to get away from where he had the bad encounter. How bad spooked do you think he was with way he acted?. As I said just got permission and have set a few cameras on fields with corn just to get some type of inventory but I don't know the brush and trails at all and don't want to stomp all over the place.

Thanks.

Sounds like good stand, I would keep hunting it under the right conditions. If he is following a doe he will not be thinking about past unknown noises. Good luck!

I personally would move the stand. Even if it's 5 or 10 yards. I think he will skirt that tree or at least be eyes up at it unless he's right behind a hot doe

If he's the only shooter you know about then I'd move it to the next best tree, but since it seems you know of several good ones and maybe unknown shooters as well, I'd stay put and hope for the best, if indeed it is the absolute best stand setup.

I know it's not the best set up, really haven't walked it since everything has happened so quick. Just found solid pinch point close to heavy cover. There are better trees but too much trim work to have any type of shot and other trees are to small. Just didn't want to burn the place bad since it is the best days of the year.

He wasn't on a doe, 2 does and 4 fawns had went the direction he was coming from just a few minutes prior and there was nothing at that point coming from the direction he did.

If I wouldn't have pressed to see the other buck I would have had a shot at him, it it wasn't so thick I had an opportunity even after he was full on alert.

Probably drive down field edge here in a bit just to see if I can see something without pressing in to deep. I hate setting a stand I've been busted on.

I called a buck out of his bed Monday, misjudged the distance and grazed the ribs, 370 yards blood trail and dried up. Same stand again today and he walks back to the same bed at 10:50 AM from chasing does and lays down to snooze. 53 yards from my stand and he still has no clue I’m there.

Unless you have reason to believe the buck changed their routine, just hunt the same spot, IMO.

Yep. Agree on above. I remember my bro shooting same buck out of same stand 3 days apart. Shoulder blade- fine. Came back & second time he didn’t make it out. If he’s in area- get as many good sets as u can. Change with wind, entrance/exit, intel, etc. Stay on him. Good luck!!

Long story short, lost almost all my permission to stuff I hunted for years. Target buck get shot by neighbor, talk to neighbor get a 1000 continuous acres to bowhunt all to myself and is all across the road from my farm. This all happened in last 10 days.

Get cameras up, tons of 2 and 3 year olds, got one picture of a nice 160 type 10 point and seen a slammer from the road. Today is first day I can hunt and got a stand situated on pinch point by deep Creek, set stand in rain last night and first hunt this morning.

Get covered up in does at first light, everything working good, and little bucks start showing. About 8 see a good framed buck cruising away from me but can't see through brush to see what he really is, slam horns and do a quick rattle to try and pull him back. Put horns up glance behind the tree and there's a buck 25 yards away in the brush.

Of course it is a giant, with tons of mass and height, definitely haven't seen him before and he's all types of nervous. To much brush for a shot and he does the stiff legged turn around. Soon as he turns around I can no longer see him, it's super thick. He blows a couple of times and sounds like he walks off.

So I'm guessing he was there when I rattled at other buck and just didn't see him, he definitely wasn't running into the horns.My tree was blocking at least part of his view of me, tree is 2' wide at stand height, definitely never smelled me, could have seen some movement from hanging horns up.

So would you move the stand? Try to get away from where he had the bad encounter. How bad spooked do you think he was with way he acted?. As I said just got permission and have set a few cameras on fields with corn just to get some type of inventory but I don't know the brush and trails at all and don't want to stomp all over the place.

Thanks.
Any updates on this. Did ya find him??

So never laid eyes on him since that encounter. This new farm is really producing some nice deer. I didn't get a great look at him, but the another buck started showing up and I have been trying to get on him, he's been coming through just haven't got hooked up with him. This morning I went back to stand where I had encounter and got a picture from stand I have been hunting. This is the first picture I got of him but pretty certain it is him, everything matches up.

We have a front pushing in right now and it's starting to break loose here. I really do love this time in KS. Every year lock down seems to end or dwindle and it seems like I see more big ones.

Still trying to figure out this farm but the few stands Ive hung seem to be working good with good movement, so hopefully just a matter of time before I cross paths with one of them.

2ccbe0f7-c9f4-4b47-8cda-da3772e41f2c.jpg8af0bdd0-d4d0-4630-9e1e-14bd12cd37b7.jpgb81c05b2-296e-42d0-b0d0-448be90f4797.jpg
Top one is the buck that this post is about, well I believe it is.(date and time are correct! Lol). Bottom 2 pictures are the other one I was after.

Top Bottom