Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Age Popeye Please

sureshot

The Hunt Never Ends....
To me this buck actually looks older to me in 2009 than he does in 2011. These photos prove to me how horrible I am at aging deer. I would like to see what you guys think this bucks age is. Thanks :way:

MDGC0145.jpg

MDGC0221.jpg

Last edited:
Gosh, I'd say he's on the downhill with that body size in 2009?? When they're legs are "short" I feel they're 'close' to 5.5. I'm guessing 7.5 or 8.5, but probably way wrong...

I don't see any downhill slide. He looks to be within inches of being the same size in both pics. Alot of deer stay about the same after 4 or 5..Great deer

8 or 9 would be my guess, but with pics of a deer like that who knows. He still looks healthy which is good!

I don't see any downhill slide. He looks to be within inches of being the same size in both pics. Alot of deer stay about the same after 4 or 5..Great deer

Interesting pics...I would guessed that the 2009 pic was the older version. :eek: That is a good lesson though as to how inexact our science is when we are guessing ages via looking at trail cam pics.

I agree with Blakesburg too...I have seen a few examples of bucks that essentially plateau at around 5 years old or so. We have some nice sheds off of a buck from our neighborhood that are now about 4 or 5 years old, but when the neighbor shot him the next year the sheds we have and the next rack that he grew were almost identical. There was no "blowing up" as they say from one year to the next. He grossed in the low 170's two years in a row, so you just never know I guess.

I'm with Jesse...if you hadn't posted the 2009 pic and I would have forgotten popeye I would have said 4.5 to 5.5...

he's 8.5 this year...IDK

i would guess in 2009 he was 5 yr old he really going down hill its to bad becuz he a nice buck in 2009 and still is but just knowin hes not going to get bigger now .

Hey guys I would guess but totally flunked out on the last contest last year when someone posted a buck that he knew the age of. He put out a sequence of pics and mixed them up.
I was a year off on all of them so with that said. I'm going to say that Popeye looks great this year. Very cool history. Probably 8 and a half but I could be a year off. LOL

major difference in the two pics is time of year. there is a months difference and a huge difference in body fat. Wait a month and then take a look at him again if you get a pic, he will look the same, older.

I have no idea. When I said 2weeks difference in the pics I meant year to year. There are actually about 2years and 2wks difference in the pics. The reason I made this post was to show that it really is hard to age a deer just by looking at a photo. I think it's funny when people post 'how old is this deer' on this website and people say '6.5', 4.5, etc. Deer are so different. Really the only way to know is to either 1; get pictures of it through its life or 2. get the teeth aged.

I think that people can usually tell if a deer is 4.5+, but to give an exact age when a deer reaches the age of 4.5 and beyond is nearly impossible IMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom