Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Age Popeye Please

I think that people can usually tell if a deer is 4.5+, but to give an exact age when a deer reaches the age of 4.5 and beyond is nearly impossible IMO.

I beg to differ, there is exact methods of aging a deer. You apparently just want to make me feel stupid for not saying 4.5+. :grin:

And that is not the same buck in those pictures. Popeye and OliveOil had a baby, and the buck in the second picture is clearly SweetPea.

Popeye was killed by a NR Hunter from Somalia in 2010.

I beg to differ, there is exact methods of aging a deer. You apparently just want to make me feel stupid for not saying 4.5+. :grin:

And that is not the same buck in those pictures. Popeye and OliveOil had a baby, and the buck in the second picture is clearly SweetPea.

Popeye was killed by a NR Hunter from Somalia in 2010.

Were you born retarded or did the drugs cause your mental issues? or perhaps a little of both? :confused:

I am sure by the last few posts that nobody cares about the subject at hand anymore, but,IMO, I believe that a deer can be aged somehow, however, I DO NOT believe that you can buy a tooth gauge or compare to a chart to do this accurately. Those gauges and charts are made by humans which tend to make errors. IMO, in order to properly age a deer by it's teeth, you would have to have something to compare with that has been through life with the same diet and genetic structure. For instance, a back woods timber buck from upstate New York is going to have far more wear on his teeth from living on twigs and browse than that of a mainly grain fed Iowa buck. Just thinking logically here, if you were to compare my teeth to those of someone twice my age with different genetics and diet, I think the results would be misleading ! I know it is fun to act like we all know what we are talking about, but do we REALLY ? And who cares how old a deer is, the important part is , how does it taste, how does it look on the wall, and how did you feel when you harvested the animal ? The rest is all , well, . . .nevermind.

Last edited:
I am sure by the last few posts that nobody cares about the subject at hand anymore, but,IMO, I believe that a deer can be aged somehow, however, I DO NOT believe that you can buy a tooth gauge or compare to a chart to do this accurately. Those gauges and charts are made by humans which tend to make errors. IMO, in order to properly age a deer by it's teeth, you would have to have something to compare with that has been through life with the same diet and genetic structure. For instance, a back woods timber buck from upstate New York is going to have far more wear on his teeth from living on twigs and browse than that of a mainly grain fed Iowa buck. Just thinking logically here, if you were to compare my teeth to those of someone twice my age with different genetics and diet, I think the results would be misleading ! I know it is fun to act like we all know what we are talking about, but do we REALLY ? And who cares how old a deer is, the important part is , how does it taste, how does it look on the wall, and how did you feel when you harvested the animal ? The rest is all , well, . . .nevermind.

Good point however when aging a tooth you get it sent into a state biologist who then examines the tooth some what like you examine a tree and its rings. There is a science to it thus allowing us to be farely accurate since upstate new york is 1000 of miles away thats irrelevant IMO. We live in the Midwest were deers browse for the most part is the same.

Top Bottom