Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Aiming issue

abell3

Tonight I had a very nice buck at ten yards and I put my 20 pin sight on him and the arrow skimmed his back so I missed him. Should I have lower at ten yards?

I was always told with the new bows now days and as fast as they are there should only be a inch or two difference in shots. I'm guess 20 pin at 10 yards I would have aimed slightly low.

Yeah I'm going to get up and shoot it tomorrow and see. I just hope I see him again. He trotted off really slowly. That's pry the only encounter I'll have with him. Sick to my stomach that I missed.

Shoot at ten and see your impact. I'll go the other way and guess it was your form. I bet you dropped your bow arm which does change your POI because it changes your anchor point. You need to maintain the T form and bend at the waist.

Did the deer flinch on shot, making it a miss, if possible at that range.

Last edited:
No he didn't flinch at all. He didn't even know that I shot. I rattled him in and after my miss he just slowly trotted away. I don't know if I'll see him again or not? What do you guys think?

He will think squirrels were throwing acorns at him again. If he didn't act real spooked he had no idea what happened. You could kill him out of the same stand tomorrow.

Yeah. I've never seen this deer before he has never been on one of my cameras. I rattled him off the neighbors ground. I gotta work all weekend but hopefully Monday I'll be back out there. Sad news is he obviously lives on the neighbors.

Bend at the waist and always maintain the same anchor point. I shoot a single pin movable sight and i cant remember moving it from the 25 yard mark for a few yrs on a deer. I just aim a touch low inside of 20 incase they duck and dead on out to 30-33ish yards incase they duck because ill be a few inches low anyhow. Duck=lungs and if they dont move ill hit low lungs or heart. Go shoot from 6-10 yards from the same heigh as your stand and make some adjustments if you need to.
Id guess the deer had no idea what happened and if he doesnt come back through it will have little to do with you missing him

At 10 yards I would bet you were so confident of a kill shot that you dropped your bow arm a bit so you could see the "hit". Kind of like lifting your head off the shotgun to get a better view of bird on that close, "easy" pheasant shot. Both result in a disappointing miss. I have done more than my fair share of both. :rolleyes:

Where did you put the pin? At 10 aim for the armpit ( or at least what I would do )

If your on the ground do the above. If your in a tree stand 20' high aim for the middle of the body to get both lungs. You aim for the armpit and all you will get is brisket.

Shoot at ten and see your impact. I'll go the other way and guess it was your form. I bet you dropped your bow arm which does change your POI because it changes your anchor point. You need to maintain the T form and bend at the waist.

This exactly. The difference between 10 and 20 shouldn't be that much pin wise. Its easy to forget form when you have a chip shot and have to shoot at a steep angle

Top Bottom