Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

AJ Is Back!

I'm hoping he does like many mature bucks and loses his nocturnal tendencies and you can stick it to him. Hopefully catch his summer/fall pattern in the first week of season and smash him before anyone else. He is a whopper for sure. Good luck.

Was he off the hit list last year, or just no opportunity?
He was on the hit list last year, he just never gave me an opportunity. In all actuality, I haven't hunted this buck much at all before. At 4.5yrs old, he just wasn't as big as some of the bucks on other farms I hunt....so he was left alone. At 5.5, he was one of the bigger ones, but spent the majority of his time on the neighbors....so I decided to hunt other more vulnerable deer. This year, I would love to have the opportunity to focus more on this whitetail, but he has to give me a reason to do so first. If he does what he did last year, he'll likely not even be hunted by me. If he stays where he's at, and does what he did at 4.5, I'll chase him! :way:

Any pictures of Rookie, Chris? AJ looks pretty solid. Either Buck should look good on the wall.
Rookie has yet to show himself this summer. I did, however, watch him multiple times this spring while I was turkey hunting. I could tell it was him due to his broken left ear.

He is such a homebody in the spring, fall, and winter....but during the summer months, he takes off. I think I know right where he is at though, which is not far away. As the months continue to progress to fall, he'll be back. There are too many doe groups, and I have too much food for him to stay away. Rookie, when he shows back up, will be the buck I hone in on.....he just lives on a very 'kill conducive' farm....

Besides AJ and Rookie, there are two others that I am waiting to show back up that could really turn heads.

Did you find his sheds last year? Any idea how long his left G2 was?
I didn't find AJ's sheds last year, and I actually don't know anyone who did. I talk to all of the other hunters and landowners in the area, besides one.....so he may be the one who has them....or a few squirrels had a party and chewed them up :D I'm thinking his G2 was 13+inches long last year.....hopefully it will catch up this year!

Awesome deer and love the 3 years of pics!! Hope to see the harvest photos this fall. Good luck!

I agree, who cares if he scores more or less this yr, he is an absolute stud. You are very lucky and obviously work very hard to have deer of that caliber around and not hunt him because he doesn't show up enough. If I even heard of a buck like that being seen within a mile of my farm I would hunt it everyday of season just on the off chance of him chasing a doe over by me. Good luck with him this fall.

This could be the year. A lot of deer become visible at 6.5 that were ghosts before!

Exactly what I was thinking. Seems a lot of the video bucks are shot at 6.5 when they were nowhere to be found the year before. They come back "home" and stay there seems like after 5.5.

Rookie has yet to show himself this summer. I did, however, watch him multiple times this spring while I was turkey hunting. I could tell it was him due to his broken left ear.

He is such a homebody in the spring, fall, and winter....but during the summer months, he takes off. I think I know right where he is at though, which is not far away. As the months continue to progress to fall, he'll be back. There are too many doe groups, and I have too much food for him to stay away. Rookie, when he shows back up, will be the buck I hone in on.....he just lives on a very 'kill conducive' farm....

Doe's with fawns may be pushing rookie off your place?? Seems to be that does claim the best turf for fawning...least that is my experience.

I run a doe/fawn factory in the summer, while plenty of mature bucks are there in spring fall and winter....

Thanks for sharing that is one awesome buck. Very cool history. Can't imagine a buck with a rack that tall that there were no sightings that year. They are truly amazing creatures.

Please keep us posted, I'd love to see how much more those tines grow. Thanks for posting in the first place.

Top Bottom