Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Am I close to being right?

Ok, getting ready for brassica and a clover plots. In a week or so, I have approx 1.6 acres of brassica's going in. It consist of dwarf essex rape, purple top turnips, and GH radishes from Welter seeds. I'm planning on discing in 8 bags or urea (46-0-0) and 200 lbs of P&K. Soil has a decent ph and is reasonably fertile based on soil sample from last year.

Clover, slightly less than 1 acre and i'm going to order 3 lbs of Alice, 2 lbs of Ladino Junbo, and 2 lbs of Kopu II. I'll add 200 lbs of pellitized lime and 200 lbs of P&K. Also, how much winter rye should I add as a cover for the clover field?
Am I on the right path for these 2 plots?

I'd hold off on the brassicas for another 2-3 weeks unless you're certain they'll be heavily grazed. I'm no expert but I know now is not the ideal planting time for turnips.

Sounds pretty good to me. Although I usually wait until the 3rd week of july to plant my brassicas and try to time it just before a rain. However some do plant the 2nd week of july.

I planted rape last yr sept 1st. It got plenty big by mid Oct. Since I have come to Iowa,,warm,,seems to last forever! At least compared to N. MI.

Oh my man, that's the way to do it, I love your fertilizer list! Seed list is great too, very nice! That stuff should pop nice. You'd be fine to plant it in next couple weeks for Brassicas. With that amount of fertilizer, you have a little more time to play with if things aren't ideal - any time you plant, you should have some good food!

The clover and rye you're gonna want to wait, later August-ish or real early sept. 1 bushel with your clover would pry be fine BUT Dbltree would be the last call on that one.

Oh my man, that's the way to do it, I love your fertilizer list! Seed list is great too, very nice! That stuff should pop nice. You'd be fine to plant it in next couple weeks for Brassicas. With that amount of fertilizer, you have a little more time to play with if things aren't ideal - any time you plant, you should have some good food!

The clover and rye you're gonna want to wait, later August-ish or real early sept. 1 bushel with your clover would pry be fine BUT Dbltree would be the last call on that one.

Thanks Skip
Brassica's probably around first week of August now and clover like you said. I did get my lime disced in for new clover plots, happy about that. I'm getting bulk fertilizer from Agriland FS in Indianola. Just tell them how much actual NPK you need and they will calculate how much Urea, MAP, and Potash is required. Pretty easy and reasonable compared to bagged fertilizer. I am ready to get the show on the road!

Top Bottom