Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Am I the only one?

twn417

Livng4Jesus, lovng2hunt
Who no longer post trail cam pictures? I have gotten weary over the last couple of years. I love to see everyone elses, but I just won't post my own.

im definitely not on the same boat- I wouldn't enjoy it as much if I kept it all to myself-

to each their own though

I share everything. But I also don't know specifically of any people on here that may be up to no good that may try to find and poach a deer based on someone else's camera pics. If I knew there was someone from my area on here that was a little sketchy, I may be more careful. This site would suck if people didn't share pics.

You can send pics to the mods and they will post anonymously if you still want to share. No traceability there

No one will poach the dinks I have on camera ha , if 130 inch deer make you track me down you really don't know what's 45 miles south and west of me . Reason I don't post is because it's not as convenient and takes lots of effort and simply cause my deer aren't that impressive ..

im definitely not on the same boat- I wouldn't enjoy it as much if I kept it all to myself-
X2

And thank you for contributing to the site and giving people something to look at.

I share everything. But I also don't know specifically of any people on here that may be up to no good that may try to find and poach a deer based on someone else's camera pics. If I knew there was someone from my area on here that was a little sketchy, I may be more careful. This site would suck if people didn't share pics.

It has nothing to do with those who you know directly (usernames) it's those that frequent this site daily that aren't members. I know quite a few; also know a lot of out of staters that look for free information on "hot spot" large public locations. Talked with a guy shed hunting who drives all the way down from Wisconsin to shed hunt ground in Decatur and ringgold county because of the flow of free information directly given from this site on those types of areas.

It's all about competition if you do not own the ground you hunt. I use to give away all kinds of info in my early undergrad years to people I didn't know, only took me one time getting burnt and losing a great farm to a lease to know don't share things that can be used against you.

Big antlers make grown men do childish things. I'll share my pictures with family and close associates; that gives me more satisfaction that getting atta boys and "likes" from complete strangers. To each their own......

Last edited:
I share pics because I enjoy others sharing pics. I pop in on break here at work and like to look at deer pics, read stories of the work guys are doing on plots, stands, habitat..... It's interesting to hear different perspectives and strategies and I can honestly say I've learned new things and tried them on my own. I don't think guys here are posting for likes or kudos. That's more of a Facebook thing.

It has nothing to do with those who you know directly (usernames) it's those that frequent this site daily that aren't members. I know quite a few; also know a lot of out of staters that look for free information on "hot spot" large public locations. Talked with a guy shed hunting who drives all the way down from Wisconsin to shed hunt ground in Decatur and ringgold county because of the flow of free information directly given from this site on those types of areas.

It's all about competition if you do not own the ground you hunt. I use to give away all kinds of info in my early undergrad years to people I didn't know, only took me one time getting burnt and losing a great farm to a lease to know don't share things that can be used against you.

Big antlers make grown men do childish things. I'll share my info with family and close associates; that gives me more satisfaction that getting atta boys and "likes" from complete strangers. To each their own......

I understand completely and don't disagree with you one bit. Like you said, to each their own.

Really the only reason I made mention of knowing specific people was that the info I give on here is pretty vague. They're just pictures. Unless you know me and the locations I hunt, there shouldn't be any easy way you could figure out where these deer live. Could there be a local guy who frequents this site that may try to "use" me to get "my" deer? Quite possibly. And for that reason, I don't blame anyone for keeping their pics a secret. All I do know is I love looking at big bucks and rooting for the guys that are hunting them. I'm not sharing pics to get pats on the back from all of you, I share because that's a large part of what makes this site great and I share because I like going back to look at my past posts. Creating a timeline like that is fun for me.

On a slightly different note, would there be a way to possibly set up a picture dump thread or section where people could anonymously post pics? Or maybe some kind of a anonymous login that could be used by anyone at anytime to post pictures? That way you could post a pic with maybe a description or history without making it known who you are? Just a thought.

I don't have any good ones to share yet and I probably won't share until I kill one. You can bet, if it's a BIG deer, then a lot more people know about it than you think.
I share occasionally with other hunters I run into on public, for example a dad and his kid I'll help out. But, I hate to give most guys a reason to focus more on a spot because I tell them about a big deer. Most of the guys I run into on public are weekend hunters, run no cams and have one or two stands for all year. They usually have little idea of the age structure the place has and I rarely oblige them to what I have on cams. If they want to know what's around then they can put in the work. I think the same applies to here, sharing a picture may be the last piece of the puzzle another hunter needed.

It seems there are big deer almost EVERYWHERE in Iowa. It cracks me up that "outsiders" think they have to be on a specific farm, next to a specific TV personality, in a specific township, etc, to have a "big one" around. I'd be willing to bet that a person could go to any good piece of non abused private ground south of 80 throw up a camera on some mineral or corn and like magic there would be a "shooter" to the average hunter.

I don't post pics because I never have figured out how. I enjoy looking at the bucks others post and would contribute if I wasn't so computer illiterate.

It seems there are big deer almost EVERYWHERE in Iowa. It cracks me up that "outsiders" think they have to be on a specific farm, next to a specific TV personality, in a specific township, etc, to have a "big one" around. I'd be willing to bet that a person could go to any good piece of non abused private ground south of 80 throw up a camera on some mineral or corn and like magic there would be a "shooter" to the average hunter.

Aren't you from Michigan? And moved down here for the deer??? Yep, only big deer south of I-80 ;)

Top Bottom