Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

And so it begins......again

The famous Iowa archery tag is the problem,you have to show proof of residency for 6 months to be considered a resident of Iowa.But I didn't have to have a building permit,I had to get a driveway perfit,,,,,lol.But yet I can't hunt my own 10acres because I dont live in it for 6months of the year. JUST SAYING,,,,if your Iowa winter wasnt so bad,maybe I could tolerate 9mths maybe,,lol
56ad923a8e288e31381aed152d6953f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

The reason you bought land in Iowa was because of the reputation it has of producing giant bucks, if everybody that bought 10 acres was given a tag you wouldn’t want to hunt Iowa anymore. Buy 10 acres in Illinois or Missouri and you can hunt dinks as often as you want, problem solved.

The reason you bought land in Iowa was because of the reputation it has of producing giant bucks, if everybody that bought 10 acres was given a tag you wouldn’t want to hunt Iowa anymore. Buy 10 acres in Illinois or Missouri and you can hunt dinks as often as you want, problem solved.
Very few NRs are going to buy 10 ac if they’re deer hunters but besides that you’re falsely assuming those 10 acres don’t already get hunted which 99% of the time they do.
So I’ve always been of the opinion that the NR folks that are willing to drive 5-15 hours, put that much time & money in to doing it, are going to be far better deer hunters/managers than a vast majority of the residents.
I’m sure I’m in the minority but I personally would bet that the quality of deer hunting would actually go up.
I know a ton of NR landowners in IL and on the average they are far more selective on the bucks they kill than the typical local. If a NR wanted to kill small young bucks most of them could do it in their home state- they would never make the financial, time, and family sacrifice that comes along with owning land in another state.

I know a ton of NR landowners in IL and on the average they are far more selective on the bucks they kill than the typical local. If a NR wanted to kill small young bucks most of them could do it in their home state- they would never make the financial, time, and family sacrifice that comes along with owning land in another state.
I agree about the landowners, but it is the NRs who lease land and hunt with outfitters that has really hurt Illinois. The outfitters destroyed Pike County and now they are moving North into Brown and Schuyler.

I agree about the landowners, but it is the NRs who lease land and hunt with outfitters that has really hurt Illinois. The outfitters destroyed Pike County and now they are moving North into Brown and Schuyler.
Absolutely. Totally agree. And I’d never advocate that for IA
Huge difference between nr landowner and allowing way too many nr hunters through outfitters

The famous Iowa archery tag is the problem,you have to show proof of residency for 6 months to be considered a resident of Iowa.But I didn't have to have a building permit,I had to get a driveway perfit,,,,,lol.But yet I can't hunt my own 10acres because I dont live in it for 6months of the year. JUST SAYING,,,,if your Iowa winter wasnt so bad,maybe I could tolerate 9mths maybe,,lol
56ad923a8e288e31381aed152d6953f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Once you establish residency you can get 3 buck tags . One would be a landowner.

I never understand the people that complain about this. You know the rules going in. I know it sucks you can’t hunt but there are plenty of places to buy land and kill big deer.

While IA is certainly a great state to hunt I would say there are plenty of states right around it with exceptional hunting. Just have to find it. Gonna need more than 10 acres thou

Very few NRs are going to buy 10 ac if they’re deer hunters but besides that you’re falsely assuming those 10 acres don’t already get hunted which 99% of the time they do.
So I’ve always been of the opinion that the NR folks that are willing to drive 5-15 hours, put that much time & money in to doing it, are going to be far better deer hunters/managers than a vast majority of the residents.
I’m sure I’m in the minority but I personally would bet that the quality of deer hunting would actually go up.

Agree 100%…moved here in 2012, uprooted wife and 2 newborns to do it. NR landowners aren’t the issue in Iowa….it’s the “entitled” resident neighborhood hunters. Guys that will spend $100’s of thousands of $$ and the time NR do, care about quality! Anyone who has lived elsewhere gets it, a lot of “Iowans” don’t….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say the outfitters ruined the hunting, not the non residents. Can’t blame a dude for forking over a pile of money to shoot a 130” when they’ve never even seen one that big.

Yeah I’m competing with an outfitter on leasing land and when they fork over $10,000 to lease 100 acres it makes it unrealistic for anyone else…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a lot of Iowans that want to hunt quality deer in their own state, but they can't afford to buy land. We've gone through this a million times on here. More opportunity for NR = less opportunity for residents. I get that it sucks, but like the other guys said. People know this when they buy the land.

I’ll post this here from another thread :

I have more outfitters around me than I care to count. Give me a nrlo who is committed to their property and management all day long in lieu of the hunters from MI and FL who kill that 140 on day five of their hunt to justify the 3500 they spent, that doesn’t include the $600 license.

Iowa is no better than other outfitted states. The demand is increased by the 200 in plus deer posted by Iowa big chunk land owners that squeezes the already limited land, talked about here, to high paying outfitters. Rs and NRLOs alike are taking that money and limiting access, period.

Access for the non landing owning R is getting worse every year despite the echoed effort otherwise.

The NR simply waits to hunt the property leased up by the outfitter while the R’s ability to gain permission declines and the ability to buy decreases by outrageous prices with demand created from within. Wake up. Of course if you’re already a landowner you quietly don’t care.

There are a lot of Iowans that want to hunt quality deer in their own state, but they can't afford to buy land. We've gone through this a million times on here. More opportunity for NR = less opportunity for residents. I get that it sucks, but like the other guys said. People know this when they buy the land.
Yea. I was just replying to the poster implying that the quality would suffer bc of nrlo. A narrative I’ve heard a million times before too that I simply think is inaccurate.
Your point is completely different. All good.

Buying land out west doesn't allow me to get an elk tag every year as a non resident.

Buy land in Illinois, Missouri, Michigan, etc or move to Iowa and become a resident. Complaining on a forum frequented by a majority of iowa residents will get you nowhere.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Schuyler & Fulton were about half way in the grave when I quit hunting there in about 2003-ish. Every farm I knew of was leased up or outfitted if it was non-hunter that owned it. I was about 19 years old when I went there & had to give the land owner $100/day trespass fee to go (besides the point but I saved up for 7-10 days of hunting & paid it).

I met countless groups from down south, MI, PA, TN, NY, etc etc etc. It was eye opening watching these guys paying for leases, outfitters, trespass fees shoot 2-3 year olds & the last day or 2…. The 1.5’s got smacked so they “got their buck”.

Anything good- I can’t think of an exception where it’s not leased. Like, it’s part of a farm calculation for everyone “hunting lease income”. The young or new hunters wanting to knock on doors- I honestly have no clue how it’s at all possible. The outfitters stack premo 2-3 year olds. A 3 year old that’s 145” with kickers - dead 10 times over. Age class, premium genetic old deer, access/permission on quality land for everyday hunter- all gone in Illinois. Gone. The only exception is the landowner who controls land to grow older deer.

Does anyone want this for iowa? Folks on here likely don’t. Our politicians & special interests will gladly implement all the garbage that got IL in the position it’s in.

Schuyler & Fulton were about half way in the grave when I quit hunting there in about 2003-ish. Every farm I knew of was leased up or outfitted if it was non-hunter that owned it. I was about 19 years old when I went there & had to give the land owner $100/day trespass fee to go (besides the point but I saved up for 7-10 days of hunting & paid it).

I met countless groups from down south, MI, PA, TN, NY, etc etc etc. It was eye opening watching these guys paying for leases, outfitters, trespass fees shoot 2-3 year olds & the last day or 2…. The 1.5’s got smacked so they “got their buck”.

Anything good- I can’t think of an exception where it’s not leased. Like, it’s part of a farm calculation for everyone “hunting lease income”. The young or new hunters wanting to knock on doors- I honestly have no clue how it’s at all possible. The outfitters stack premo 2-3 year olds. A 3 year old that’s 145” with kickers - dead 10 times over. Age class, premium genetic old deer, access/permission on quality land for everyday hunter- all gone in Illinois. Gone. The only exception is the landowner who controls land to grow older deer.

Does anyone want this for iowa? Folks on here likely don’t. Our politicians & special interests will gladly implement all the garbage that got IL in the position it’s in.
I don’t think anyone, resident or non, wants that for Iowa Skip. Maybe a very small minority but very few. I think all many folks are suggesting, myself included, is that what you describe in IL has NOTHING to do with nr landowners and everything to do with the state allowing so many nr NON landowner tags that there is then a large demand for lots of outfitters. Not good for the quality and age structure of a deer herd.

But again, the quality of deer in Iowa would only get better in my opinion if NR landowners could hunt their own farm. I also realize as one of the other posters in this thread pointed out that that’s not the only reason why Iowans want it left how it is currently and that there are other valid opinions/reasons why you guys are so protective of it.

Seems simple enough to sell your property and move on with life if every topic of your conversations on this forum are being crabby about nonresident draws in Iowa. Based on your picture you are a stones throw away from two other nearby states, best of luck on your endeavors. True Iowa hunters who want to preserve the deer resource in Iowa don't want to or need to change laws in order to cater to someone who only wants to come to Iowa for a week or two to kill a big deer.

I have always felt that a person who owns land should be able to get tags to hunt it every year, especially for deer. I believe all the states have that provision, except Iowa...not sure on Hawaii? Elk, bear, that is completely different and is not a comparison.

As a conservative, that is just my feeling. On the other hand, I do appreciate that Iowa residents fight to keep bad legislation and more crazy seasons added. If Iowa moved the gun season to say November 8 or something like that, this whole point of Iowa being special would be moot... as it would go downhill and NR would sell.

I think the IBA does a nice job lobbying. So I am mostly a fan of that organization, with the exception of a few issues.... I don't think any resident should get 3 buck tags? That is a outdated rule, and Iowa has too many seasons. If they really wanted to have superior hunting to other states, they should limit buck tags to (2) with no exceptions, and wrap up all seasons on Dec 31...(plus no late rifle season)...
I would like to see.... 1 buck NR tag and up to 3 does tags if you have X amount of acres, but it doesn't seem to have much chance of passing, so I will take my turn in the lottery.

Top Bottom