Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Another Heater Body Suit question

BowHunt'nFool

Ok so I bought a HBS from Buck Hollow Sports a few weeks ago(Thanks Boyd!) and I finally got to use last Friday morning when it got down to 25 and it works awesome! My question is what do you do with your binos? I wore mine inside the suit on my chest with my bino harness. I should have known better but when I pulled them out to look at a deer they were all fogged over. So I just took them off and hung them on a tree step next to me. I didnt like that though because there is alot more movement involved. Just wondering what some of you guys do that own one of these suits or if anybody has any suggestions?

Thanks!

Also just a quick story about how well the suit works. I took my 9 year old boy out to try and fill his youth season tag this weekend and the temp was aroung 13 degrees so I let him where it. I got him all zipped up in it and he never got cold once. He didnt need any gloves and at times he just tucked his head inside and played his nintendo ds. He did end up shooting a doe fawn this morning from a tree stand at around 930. If it were not for the suit it would have been to cold for him to stay out there for very long.

Thanks again for reading!
Toby

I don't have a bino harness but i do have a regular bino strap. I just get it around the back of my neck before zipping up and it stays in front outside of the HBS real nice. Only have to unzip it down maybe a foot to use them.

So Im getting closer every day to starting to save for one of these. Once you hunt with one in below 0 weather try to report back. I've got good enough clothes to get me to 10degrees for 2.5hours, after that I start to wuss out.

the awesome thing about the HBS suit is that it doesn't just get you by. You are very comfortable and can sit in very cold temps for long periods of time. I bought one for my 9 year old son and he hunted all of the very cold days this year without getting cold at all. The comment above about the kids not wearing gloves is true, my son took his gloves off as well. Great product and I assure you that you cannot buy them cheaper than you can get them at Buck Hollow Sports.

that is a good idea, it is well worth the money to know that they are warm and comfortable. As you know the suit only goes as small as a medium....so to make it work better we sewed straps on the inside of the suit on the legs so you can bunch up the excess clothing. That way your son can wear it for a few years to come. I really cannot say enough good things about the suit, they are awesome.

can you take off your socks and just put those footwarmers on too??

You guys really talk this product up.. I love it when it is cold out, but I imagine I would love it more if I could sit far longer.. How long are we talking about in 15 mph winds at 0 degrees??

I've often pondered the thought of diving into a HBS. BUT... One thing really worries me!

I've been known to flatulate more than most. It's a genetic thing. So, if I'm sitting in my HBS after a couple cans of Mother's Milk, Taquitos and a McDouble, will I just be sitting in my own stench, as it is wafted from the body suit cavity up through the neck hole with every movement? Do you guys think the stank could just build up in there until finally it has nowhere to go and just erupts out the neck hole, frightening and confusing every deer in sight?

Try wearing MULTIPLE layers of Scent-Lok undergarments- (a pair of "Depends" just in case) and "Forget the Wind.....Just FART"!!!! :D

:moon: LOL!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have a harness and had the same problem. I found that if i wait 10-15 minutes before i zip up the suit it allows most of the hot- moist air out. this hasnt prevented the problem entirely but has helped considerably. I also got rid of the included straps and now use a duffel bag which has a few exterior pockets,hanles and a shoulder strap. This has allowed me to leave my pack behind on close hunts. considering HBS will give you your money back if you dont like it,how can you go wrong??

Dean,
I have been out in -10 weather and not had an issue. Had a sweatshirt and jeans on underneath and was plenty warm. :way:

Limb
first question. Are they a sponsor of IW or any other thing you are involved with that would bias you comments?

I am considering a purchase too, but I am concerned about being a big massive blob in a tree with little cover and being able to position for a shot while bowhunting. Any experience with this?

Limb

I am considering a purchase too, but I am concerned about being a big massive blob in a tree with little cover and being able to position for a shot while bowhunting. Any experience with this?

This is what has kept me from getting one. I can see myself tripping over my feet or something as I'm moving into position in my stand for a shot. There's not that much room up there with regular boots and clothes let alone a sleeping bag. I'd like to hear some feedback on this too.

First off I will never say anything about any product that I feel is inferior whether it is affiliated with anything I am a part of or not. I am as unbiased as they come when gear is involved. But I will answer your question because you are a Viking and a little slower than the rest... No, I have no affiliation with Heater Body Suit in any way. :moon: :D

I have spent time in a tree stand with this thing on and while slightly bulky I haven't seemed to have a problem with getting picked off, but I don't sit in trees without cover usually either. I will also tell you that I have shot a total of 5 does and 0 bucks with it on and you have to think about what you are doing a little more than normal for obvious reasons. There are a couple more steps involved in getting a shot off.

Are they worth the money? Who knows, depends on how much value you put on time spent in your tree stand. Two of the does I shot I know I would have not been in a tree due to the temperature had I not had it on.

Limb
first question. Are they a sponsor of IW or any other thing you are involved with that would bias you comments?

Thanks

Re: the blob fear
I was concerned with this too. I didn't get busted at all though but I have only used it in first bow season and with not a lot of snow cover, plus I hunt high in the tree. If I were going to do a late season deal in a treestand, I'd almost consider forking over the extra cash for the Skyline Horizon coverall option to put over it.

First off I will never say anything about any product that I feel is inferior whether it is affiliated with anything I am a part of or not.

So if you did have HBS as a sponsor and you thought it sucked....you'd say that?:moon::grin:

I just ask because it seems on IW that once the kool-aid is drank, it seems to be that no one can find anything negative to say about the given product. For example....LW, badlands packs, etc....

Not saying these are bad products b/c they are not. In fact, I own some of each. I just want an honest feedback even if the flaws are minor.

Thanks for the feedback Limb...yours always has added weight b/c you go through more gear than me even :D and as much as I hate to admit it I usually agree with your assessments once I get said gear.:moon: Go Vikes!

Speaking of Vikes, when are you and THA$ gonna be sporting those Viking horns this year? I'm waiting.:D

I wore mine tonight for a two hour hunt. The temps were near zero and the wind was a sustained 20 mph with higher gusts and I was in the wide open. I did feel a chill when the wind picked up, but I never got cold. I even ended up pulling my head inside and zipping it up over top for a while when the sting on my face got to be to much. I definitely reccomend one of these to anyone who does a lot of sitting in cold weather.

I personally find I get picked off LESS in my HBS in cold weather because I move around less. Also, the more open patterns like Predator or the Skyline Horizon work amazingly well in breaking up your outline even without background cover. I've called in Coyotes many times in open snow-covered fields (sitting next to a fencepost) in mine, and they didn't notice anything except a pain behind their shoulders.....and I hunt with a RECURVE!!

I'm MORE successful because of the times I can stay out there in the suit, the times deer and predators HAVE to feed....and no one else is out there taking advantage of it! Once you try one, and USE it you'll see what an asset it really is.

Top Bottom