Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anterless Rifle Season

bpul2113

This season must end. There is way too much abuse. Dnr must end this abomination. If they must have a doe season do it in July when you can tell the bucks from doe's. If in favor reply with, close it.

the DNR is helpless in this. the DNR reccommended to the legislature to lower antlerless tags in about 40 counties. farm bureau shit their dresses, and pressured the Gov to make no changes. you want change? contact you legislators and the governor. constant complaing on sites like these does nothing, of no one ACTS. send emails, make phone calls, attend town hall meetings.

Been there ,,done that. Do it every new year. Would help if we had some $$$ to dangle in front of their eyes....

Could high deer numbers in the lower tier counties coincide with high NR land ownership and their limited ability to kill deer? I don't know? I think it's a choice of two evils for many here. Kill them with rifles or give more access to NRLO's. Tough situation.

I remember when some NRs were abusing the archery doe season it was taken away instead of prosecuting the few that were abusing it. I would think the # of bucks killed in that NR archery season was a drop in the bucket compared to the # of button/shed bucks killed in the late rifle season. Just one example why as a NR it is hard to figure out Iowa deer management?

the DNR is helpless in this. the DNR reccommended to the legislature to lower antlerless tags in about 40 counties. farm bureau shit their dresses, and pressured the Gov to make no changes. you want change? contact you legislators and the governor. constant complaing on sites like these does nothing, of no one ACTS. send emails, make phone calls, attend town hall meetings.

Teeroy - Question.

Branstad is in charge of the quotas and the DNR is in charge of the seasons correct?
In NE Iowa the DNR wanted to lower the doe quotas but Branstad said no.
The DNR said fine we will close it earlier then on Jan. 10th.
No doe season up here now.

Am I as# backwards on this?

Thank you.

Could high deer numbers in the lower tier counties coincide with high NR land ownership and their limited ability to kill deer? I don't know? I think it's a choice of two evils for many here. Kill them with rifles or give more access to NRLO's. Tough situation.

I believe your exactly right. Even as a RLO it is extremely difficult to manage for a proper balance, you end up having to manage everyone else's deer that either can't or won't. The timing of this season is counter-productive to say the least. Every knowledgeable deer manager in the country is shaking their heads in disbelief. If a similar season was set up first instead of last and NRLO's given the opportunity to participate, the result would be more positive than negative.

I like when people talk about how nrlos can't manage their land. There are plenty of people that would love the opportunity to shoot a doe off private land. Not all hunters that don't have access to hunting ground are unethical savages. Next time your at the local gas station saving iowas economy ask around. I'm sure you could find a local kid/kids that would love the opportunity to go out and shoot a doe. It's a win-win. I don't buy that nrlos can't manage their farms. There are plenty of opportunities out there if you are truly concerned about controlling the herd.

Bowtech, let's stay on point for a change. Use some common sense. NRLO's are not going to let folks they don't know run all over their farms. End of story. Put that old argument to bed.

I like when people talk about how nrlos can't manage their land. There are plenty of people that would love the opportunity to shoot a doe off private land. Not all hunters that don't have access to hunting ground are unethical savages. Next time your at the local gas station saving iowas economy ask around. I'm sure you could find a local kid/kids that would love the opportunity to go out and shoot a doe. It's a win-win. I don't buy that nrlos can't manage their farms. There are plenty of opportunities out there if you are truly concerned about controlling the herd.

That is not true as neither (I) the owner of the land, or any of my kids can bow hunt the farm for a period of 3 years. I would say that restricts the ability to manage the farm. Shotgun party hunt is the only option.

After major trespass issues on my farm, I'm only letting people I know very well hunt my farm, sorry...

It's a problem and it will have to be addressed, this rule change has created an issue.

Bowtech, let's stay on point for a change. Use some common sense. NRLO's are not going to let folks they don't know run all over their farms. End of story. Put that old argument to bed.

I'm not saying let someone you don't know run free on your farm. I don't know how you got that out of my statement? I'm saying take a local kid or two hunting. And for the record you brought this up. Non residents are always saying that they can't manage their deer herd. Yes you can! You yourself might not be the one doing the killing but If you really want it managed it can be done, but instead you guys want to use that as a crutch to get more tags.

That is not true as neither (I) the owner of the land, or any of my kids can bow hunt the farm for a period of 3 years. I would say that restricts the ability to manage the farm. Shotgun party hunt is the only option. After major trespass issues on my farm, I'm only letting people I know very well hunt my farm, sorry... It's a problem and it will have to be addressed, this rule change has created an issue.

Well shotgun party hunting is an option if you truly want to manage your herd. You guys make it sound impossible. It's possible, just not in the way you want it. No need to apologize I could care less who you let hunt your farm. Just trying to enlighten you guys that the old deer management argument to get more tags doesn't hold water.

Well shotgun party hunting is an option if you truly want to manage your herd. You guys make it sound impossible. It's possible, just not in the way you want it. No need to apologize I could care less who you let hunt your farm. Just trying to enlighten you guys that the old deer management argument to get more tags doesn't hold water.

It's just simply poor management on the part of the state, these people are paid to manage the deer herd. Instead they allow anyone to come down and shoot does and shed bucks with rifles. There is a better way to do it and most management minded hunters can see that.

Teeroy - Question.

Branstad is in charge of the quotas and the DNR is in charge of the seasons correct?
In NE Iowa the DNR wanted to lower the doe quotas but Branstad said no.
The DNR said fine we will close it earlier then on Jan. 10th.
No doe season up here now.

Am I as# backwards on this?

Thank you.

uuhhh.......not 100% sure on that one. pretty sure, the DNR can't implement any/many changes without legislature approval. and, the way the current administration is running things, any DNR official that were to go against the wishes of the establishment, will probably find themselves jobless.

Come on you guys all work. You take orders from someone unless you own your own business. I take orders even though I'm old have been told to load 36 heavy boxes while some 10th Mnt Sgt stands there and lets me kill myself. I would not buck the system if I were them unless they want to be replaced.

We are stuck between the DNR the GOV the Farm service and the Insurance Companies. Its almost like we have no chance to reach a happy meduim with all the groups involved. Man this does not look good.

Late season ended up here in NE Iowa because we had some bad weather years where no one could get out to hunt. The sale of doe tags was well absorbed by the other seasons though!:rolleyes:

Top Bottom