Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Any youth season luck?

kelcher

Anybody have any luck with the youngsters? We saw plenty of turkeys and the young guy I took out took a shot at a young doe, but it was a clean miss.

I think he still had a good time though.

Anybody have any luck with the youngsters? We saw plenty of turkeys and the young guy I took out took a shot at a young doe, but it was a clean miss.

I think he still had a good time though.
5 does & maybe 5 bucks - all lil guys. We gonna try again the next night it cools down a good bit. Another farm we gonna go for a doe later. Good luck to u all!

Between my work schedule, and my daughter's soccer schedule we didn't get out this weekend. Next weekend is wide open though, and we'll be out. Weather looks pretty good for next weekend, hopefully it holds.

Took my daughter Sat and Sun evenings. Sat, just one spotted fawn well within range. God put on the best fireworks show I've ever seen. That lightning was worth the drive alone. Sun, one doe decided not to step out of the woods. Then a basket 8, followed by a big old buck with a wonky rack on one side stepped out. My daughter took a shot and clean missed on the big one. Slight donkey kick, but zero blood. If I wasn't taking kids, I wouldn't be hunting in such hot muggy weather. I'm soaking wet by the time that we climb into the stand and it's so uncomfortable to sit still in long sleeves and pants with sweat pouring out of me. Sure do love the excitement of living vicariously through my kids though... Worth it!

Took my daughter Sat and Sun evenings. Sat, just one spotted fawn well within range. God put on the best fireworks show I've ever seen. That lightning was worth the drive alone. Sun, one doe decided not to step out of the woods. Then a basket 8, followed by a big old buck with a wonky rack on one side stepped out. My daughter took a shot and clean missed on the big one. Slight donkey kick, but zero blood. If I wasn't taking kids, I wouldn't be hunting in such hot muggy weather. I'm soaking wet by the time that we climb into the stand and it's so uncomfortable to sit still in long sleeves and pants with sweat pouring out of me. Sure do love the excitement of living vicariously through my kids though... Worth it!
Never seen a deer donkey kick that wasn't hit...

Hopfully she gets another crack!

I have actually seen it twice. Both times the shot was right under the animal. One of those was a miss by me. It was only a 30 yard shot and a long story/excuse as to why, but I missed none the less. I was with a guide and we both tracked and looked for blood a long time. We finally went back to the exact spot the animal was standing and I had hit and broken softball size rock right under it. I'm guessing a combo of the impact noise and shrapnel probably hitting its belly made it jump and kick, which had the guide and I convinced it was dead. I did get a nice trophy picture of the broken rock though! :confused:

Never seen a deer donkey kick that wasn't hit...

Hopfully she gets another crack!
I've seen it a small number of times, but I agree, it usually means they're hit. My eyes were glued to it when she shot and I didn't see any visible dark dot appear either. The 12 gauge slug usually always makes a visible punch hole when they're shot standing still and broadside. I'm not 100% certain she didn't hit it, but again, we didn't find a drop of blood, and it ran through some thick weeds on the way into the timber. There would have been blood splattered and / or smeared somewhere in there that we would have come across.

Nobody having any luck getting kiddos on deer this year? I've taken kids 3 nights so far, 2 shots fired, and zero deer hit.

Only taken my boy out once last weekend due to so many activities for all the kids. Gonna take him out again tonight. We had a doe come way too close to us last weekend and then she kind of spooked and then he rushed a shot. Hes hooked

Little man cracked a doe. Such a fun experience having him kill his first deer. From the shot to the track job, something ill never forget.
723549ed35628485aa32a2a919516a7d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

We had a rough weekend, and my daughter learned the toughest part of deer hunting. We only got out Friday night, and ended up seeing about 20 deer. The last deer into the field was a mature buck that we've had on camera for the last 3 years. He came into 50 yards, and she took a shot. He trotted back into the timber with his tail down. He wasn't limping, and didn't look hunched up.

We only found blood twice in about 100 yards, and we backed out just as a heavy drizzle started to fall. Saturday morning we went back out looking for him, and bumped him out of a bed. I didn't see any sign of an injury as he was trotting away, and there was no blood in his bed. We backed out again, and came back Sunday, and never found him. 4 of us spent several hours looking on Sunday.

I was impressed with my 10 year old. She was out looking with us every minute, climbing hills, crossing muddy bottoms, and briar patches. I don't know how many miles we walked, but she never complained, and never quit.

She does have a doe tag, and wants to keep hunting so we'll be getting out again later in the week. I just hope the buck shows back up soon so we can try and figure out what happened.

20220914_150125.jpg20220914_150201.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom