Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anybody else seen this?????????

Big Timber

I went to my farm tonight to find my 2 acres of dwarf essex rape demolished by the deer herd. Last week it was about 8 inches tall, and tonight the whole field is browsed almost to the ground. I also have two acres of oats adjoining the rape, 5 acres of alfalfa and 150 acres of soybeans in this 200 acre plot. I thought rape was supposed to be a late season forage? At this rate I'm not going to have anything left of the field by tomorrow.

The soybeans are no longer being browsed, the oats and alfalfa are still being munched on as well.

Any advice? Or is this normal (First go around with rape seed)

Thanks.

BT

Same thing happened to my buddy in Minnesota...they ate a 5 acre field in about a week. Took it right down to the dirt...

I don't understand it... With so many other food sources, they choose the rape seed. I've heard of guys who swear that it takes time for deer to enjoy the stuff. Definitely not the case in my situation. I suppose I shouldn't complain, just have to plant more next year.
grin.gif

BT

I planted mine mixed with turnips. They've been hitting it hard for a couple weeks. Haven't seen it for a few days so I'm not sure what is left.

Sounds like a real early season magnet. Doe bait.
grin.gif

Old Buck

I have the same problem here in PA about 2 weeks ago they turned on to the rape and now its about totally wiped out! I thought you had to have a frost before the deer would be interested in eating it ???

Top Bottom