Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anyone ever hear of Bovine Virus Diarrhea Virus in wild deer

203ntyp

PMA Member
Took a stroll today in the snow, no sheds but there was more diarrhea on deer trails and in beds than normal droppings. Could this be from BVDV and could it affect the herds health and reproduction rates?

Crazy that you posted that! A friend n I were out coyote hunting a few days ago and when we got back to the truck he witnessed the exact same thing!! He said it was all over on trails and beds! What area was this, if u dont mind me asking?

Saw the exact same thing in North Missouri this past weekend. I had no clue what it was but literally saw 40 pools of it on the snow...definitely too brown to be urine.

I think the high amounts of diarrhea have to do with the changes in diet a deer is faced with in winter times. Iowa deer eat lots of grain during the majority of the year, but during the seasons other than winter they have other fiber sources to better keep their rumen happy. I'm no ruminent expert but this would be my best guess.

I think the high amounts of diarrhea have to do with the changes in diet a deer is faced with in winter times. Iowa deer eat lots of grain during the majority of the year, but during the seasons other than winter they have other fiber sources to better keep their rumen happy. I'm no ruminent expert but this would be my best guess.

Exactly what I was thinking. I've notice a variance of stool samples while shedding, as well, and notice a difference as the terrain and vegetation changes over.

For a minute there I thought maybe we shed hunted the same place but your in a different state. I learned don't eat taco bell with beer the night before a 15 mile shed hunt day :) I have never really noticed it I guess.

I see it alot this time of the year, especially if feeding the deer something extra.

For a minute there I thought maybe we shed hunted the same place but your in a different state. I learned don't eat taco bell with beer the night before a 15 mile shed hunt day :) I have never really noticed it I guess.

LOL Wow, that's a graphic word picture. Did you have any TP?

Great!! Now that the word is out the deer get the runs too there will be some "salebrity" pimping a deer version of Imodium! :D

LOL, no Taco Bell close. I never seen this much diarrhea ever, we had worse winters than this that the yarding areas were solid droppings with no runny stuff. There are donkeys and goats next to the wooded area, wonder if they are the cause of this?

I don't know of anyone feeding them rich foods they shouldn't have this time of year or it's something more serious?

Top Bottom