Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Anyone strop their blades?

Iowabowtech

It seems like stropping has become kind of a dying art. There are a ton of sharpeners available today but in my experience none can beat the final finish a good old leather strop provides. I was thinking about making a tutorial on broadhead sharpening to include various modern options plus a section on stropping heads and knives. Is this a gay or good idea? Be honest because I was planning to make it a pic driven tutorial and if it's not something people are excited about, I'll skip the effort. Probably end up being a fairly lengthy post.

Go for it man, I for one would be interested. I have a G5 stone that has leather on the back for stropping, but I'm not really sure if I'm getting the right results.

I've done it on knives before....

There is no such things as a blade being too sharp, but I can't see investing this much effort in a broadhead when I can get a razor edge with a hard Arkansas stone, just my opinion though.

That being said, I'd welcome the post. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Stropping is the final step in any sharpening process. You are simply removing the metal burr that accumulates on the edge of the blade, leaves you with pure edge.

Brian,

As long as you are drawing the head backward over the leather on each blade surface a few times, you're good. You should see a marked difference between sharpness, especially on those 45 degree edges the G5 carries.

I think your post would be a good one. Something any bowhunter should know.

Top Bottom