Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Apple/Pear Trees

Might want to protect the trunk of the tree.
Red Pepper paint or screen them. Rabbits and mice are worse then deer sometimes.
Looks healthy! Nice looking clover too.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Might want to protect the trunk of the tree.
Red Pepper paint or screen them. Rabbits and mice are worse then deer sometimes.
Looks healthy! Nice looking clover too.

I have some trees that are about a year behind and some that I just planted. Do u think I could use paint on them or wait until they are older? I have hardware cloth protecting the base right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some trees that are about a year behind and some that I just planted. Do u think I could use paint on them or wait until they are older? I have hardware cloth protecting the base right now

Personally I use screen until they get a few years in the ground. Then I would paint them.

Peppered my trees today
38f6eecaa530fd420e7e72f71a469e44.jpg

2b0730ed46c9d2049d9998189f3dba04.jpg

It’s time!!! 1st page here addresses this. U can YouTube “fruit tree, central leader, pruning” & see some examples. Here’s a few basic pics that also aid in this.

side note: disinfect sharp pruners with Lysol between trees. Burn scraps. Don’t need prune so close to tree that u have a wide opening. Come out a touch so it can be smaller & heal over.
cut diseased or dead. Inward growing stuff. Straight up off of main branches or straight down type of things.
Lots of ways to train branches - do all u can to get rid of tight crotch angles.
Last quick tip- with cages and deer browse line- we want the branches higher up. For example - I don’t want a main branch 3’ off the ground growing right into the cage or right where deer can pound it. Get them higher.
7622F1C0-4CA3-4068-A902-322DE8AE1B6E.jpeg
6C42045A-60A9-4EBB-8B1E-56C813AE474F.jpeg
6144DBD0-A27A-4C4B-8EE9-9D7F497B2F9A.jpeg
ABD016A7-6560-4998-8891-B4E24FB9F874.jpeg

Thanks Skip. That's my plan for this Friday. Few of my trees are on spring 3. This will be my first prune though, as I had no clue what I was doing before. They should prune up fine though.

Just finished pruning 6 apple trees and 2 pear trees over the past few days. Been overdue but now they're opened up and thinned out to allow good air flow, should be a noticeable improvement this year. And... the deer are nibbling away within an hour after I leave! Make sure not to trim more than a 3rd of the tree. Just hoping not to get a late frost, last years yield was horrible.

Posted in thread but bringing to top. Time is NOW to fert 2nd year fruit trees with 1# 19-19-19. If using 13-13-13 about 1.3#

I like this fert program alot:

1st year trees: 1/2 lb 19-19-19 2 weeks after planting or rains

2nd year trees: 1# 19-19-19 mid march (NOW) AND 1# urea in late May. Done.

3rd+ year trees: 1 # urea in late march AND 1# urea in late May. Done.

Top Bottom