Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Apple Trees

baggin_bucks

Anyone ever cleared out an acre or so of timber and planted a small apple orchard? I have 32 acres of timber part of which many years ago use to be pasture/timber. There is a natural bedding area on the south and north east side of the timber. I was thinking of clearing an acre or so in the middle of the timber. This particular area does not have that many oak trees. Mainly hickory, elm and walnut and some trash trees. Tell me what you think? I assume my main goal would be to make sure there is enough sun hitting the fruit trees?

They like a full days sun so I would clear out quite a bit out around the trees. The juglone from walnuts is death to an apple trees so do not plant them around any walnuts.

I would imagine the pH would need adjusting in the timber also so lime would be needed to raise the pH.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell me what you think? </div></div>

Sounds like a killer idea but take heed of letemgrows advice and make sure you fence them good! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Fencing would definately be a must. I planted some apple trees at the other place and took old fencing and put it around them double high. No deer damage at all. Did have a beaver go through the fencing and chew one off but of course couldn't get the tree through the fencing /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif I will have the soil checked and get it up to par as well. Thanks guys, thought it sounded like it would work just wanted some reassurance.

It might not take much lime, the extension office here in SE Kansas told me a ph of 6.1-7.0 will work fine.

Letemgrow, we have a few walnuts about 150 yards from our newly planted apples trees -- do we need to worry? Are the trees the problem, or just the walnuts themselves?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSQ2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It might not take much lime, the extension office here in SE Kansas told me a ph of 6.1-7.0 will work fine.

Letemgrow, we have a few walnuts about 150 yards from our newly planted apples trees -- do we need to worry? Are the trees the problem, or just the walnuts themselves? </div></div>

Woodland areas tend to be very acidic and may have PH's in the low 5's or worse!

Here's a link to your ??'s concerning BW toxicity

Black Walnut Toxicity

Top Bottom