Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

AR-15 purchase question.

TLHAWK

I will very soon be in the market to purchase my first AR-15. Looking at Rock River but not 100 percent committed to that brand. Where have some of you guys gone to get the best prices? I'd be willing to drive a bit if it was a good deal. Should I be looking at something other than a Rock River? My younger brother has a DPMS, and it's a pretty nice gun, but everyone I've talked to raves about the RR's. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rock River is a solid brand. I have owned two different ARs. A colt and one I built myself. Both are fine guns. RR would be great for most anyone. What do you plan to use this gun for? What is your budget? There are tons of different brands that all offer quality rifles. I'd encourage you to do a lot of research. There's tons of information out there. Don't buy anything without first reading reviews.

If you want to know everything there is to know about your rifle, I'd recommend building one. It's not very hard at all. if you work on your own car, you can build an AR. You really only need a couple inexpensive tools. There are an infinite amount of different configurations of ARs out there. And you can spend anywhere from 600 to 5000. I wouldn't say I'm an expert but I have spent probably 100 hours or so reading up on AR info.

Here is a link to get you started. I found this very informative.
http://neverenuffammo.com/?p=355

Last edited:
Rock River is a very well built gun. If it was me I would go to brownells and buy parts to build my own which is really easy or buy a colt with it equipped with the Magpul stuff.

I think that most AR's are created equal. Real differences fall upon the barrels. Length, weight, finish, ect. To the average shooter like myself, it would be hard to tell differences from one to the other.

I think that most AR's are created equal. Real differences fall upon the barrels. Length, weight, finish, ect. To the average shooter like myself, it would be hard to tell differences from one to the other.
right on the money with this statement in my opinion. I think the biggest difference i've noticed from one AR to another is the trigger.

Yep. Ill agree. Barrels and triggers. I had a gun with a 24" stainless bull barrel I tried for yote hunting. I hated lugging that thing around. Then I built my next gun with a stainless medium contour, 18" barrel. It's a lot better to carry around. Still good out to 400+ yards. I do need to get a nice trigger though. Thinking Gisselle.

I'd build your lower out of parts and buy an upper. The lower is easy to put together and it's pretty enjoyable. I went with RR for my .223. It's a 20 inch Predator Pursuit and I bought it off of http://www.pkfirearms.com/. They have good prices and everything you see on the website is ready to ship. They are really nice folks to deal with.

My second AR is a 6.8 that I bought from bison armory. Same deal...I built the lower and bought a complete upper.

I am currently looking to purch#se a built 308 AR if anyone knows of one available please PM me with details or locations. Thanks

Top Bottom