Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

archery shoots

tph

A friend of mine is thinking of an idea of making an archery shooting range, he has a building picked out. does any body have ideas or suggestion on if they think this will be a good idea?? i dont even know of a place to shoot around us for miles. also what does a typical membership cost? or even a pay per day? or how do most of them work? i have never done a archery shoot and neither has he, but we think it would be awesome to have one in the area. the building would also have enough room to make a corner of it an archery shop or something??

What type of shooting does he plan on making it? Since you mentioned a building, Im assuming you are referring to an indoor range, but like a typical 20 yard range for shooting spots, or like a techno hunt, or a pop-up 3D course or something?

At most of the ranges I have shot at, its typically a pay-per-shoot type of thing ($3 for a half hour, $5 an hour), and they also have a yearly pass ($250 and you can shoot as much as you want). Also, many of them have some sort of an archery league (typically in the winter), where there are teams and you pay an entry fee (like $125 bucks) and you shoot a certain night of the week, scores get tallied and recorded.

One of the coolest winter leagues I have done in the past was an indoor 3D range. It was all under 20 yards, teams of 4, 5 stations. Each station shoots one 3D target and one paper target on the wall. Obstacles such as fences, pallets, fake christmas trees, brush, etc were placed between the shooters and the targets to make it more challenging. Some stations you would have to sit, kneel, shoot from inside a blind, etc.

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

Here is a picture of the range that we set up for 3 months in the winter. I belong to Echo Valley Archers in West Union. We run a 10 week league and also have 3 shoots per year. Send me a pm if you have any questions about how we do things. I think you have a great idea....good luck with it!
CourseLayout22012.jpg

i think we would have something similar to the pic JakeWym posted, but the building is big enough we could have targets out to 60yds. (maby more) we thought of putting a couple platfroms about 10 feet up, but i hadent thought of a blind, that would be cool!

i think we would have something similar to the pic JakeWym posted, but the building is big enough we could have targets out to 60yds. (maby more) we thought of putting a couple platfroms about 10 feet up, but i hadent thought of a blind, that would be cool!

Yeah I like the idea of both. And for a blind, its not like you need an actual blind - just build a square frame, and cut a "blind" sized hole in some burlap and staple it to it..

ya, just to simulate a blind!
how many different targets do you think would be good? should they all be 3d or just some be cheaper targets? thanks so far

We usually have 28-30 set for our shoots. We shoot 2 rounds of 25 targets, and have a few others out there in case one gets shot up. Most guys that go to shoots do not want to shoot more than a 50 target total....most say that 40 is plenty.

Top Bottom