Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Armyworms!!!!

turkeyriver

PMA Member
The fall armyworm infestation is eating my cereal rye food plots! We need a frost to kill them. Neighbors hay is all getting eaten up. Always something. I guess its a freak wind that blew them up from down south this year. we usually don't see them up here.

Would this be why all the clover on my one farm is GONE? Will it come back next spring?

Do army worms taste bad to birds? I'd think that birds would find them in an open field and make quick work of them before they could decimate it. I've only ever seen them in clusters on trees, that they strip all the leaves off. We used to light their nesting balls on fire when we could get to them.

Birds & predators can never keep up with them. They hit hard & fast. Need to spray them the second u know about them.

those are “tent caterpillars” u see in trees.

Spray. It’s cheap. Cost me 12$/acre with application to have the coop spray all my hay that was getting destroyed.

it will grow back potentially. But a guys risk plants going into the winter with very little in the gas tank. Hard winter could very well kill your stand of hay, clover, etc.

I would spray immediately!

Do army worms taste bad to birds? I'd think that birds would find them in an open field and make quick work of them before they could decimate it. I've only ever seen them in clusters on trees, that they strip all the leaves off. We used to light their nesting balls on fire when we could get to them.
3 farms I had sprayed…….all a guy had to do was follow the flocks of turkey. They were out there hammering the worms. It was almost comical to watch. 30 birds just running around like rats plucking them worms out of the grass.

3 farms I had sprayed…….all a guy had to do was follow the flocks of turkey. They were out there hammering the worms. It was almost comical to watch. 30 birds just running around like rats plucking them worms out of the grass.
That's what I had envisioned in my mind. A flock of turkeys having at a smorgasbord, until no more worms were left. My chickens do that when they find a colony of bugs. It's comical. 1 makes the find, but they all join in within a minute or 2.

Although I have not personally seen them, I have received reports about army worms nearby my farm...so I suspect that I will see them when I there next, or the aftermath. What crops do they attack? What crops do they not destroy?

I ask because I have good brassicas, but I think I am understanding that they hammer cereal rye, alfalfa and the like, but not brassicas.

Although I have not personally seen them, I have received reports about army worms nearby my farm...so I suspect that I will see them when I there next, or the aftermath. What crops do they attack? What crops do they not destroy?

I ask because I have good brassicas, but I think I am understanding that they hammer cereal rye, alfalfa and the like, but not brassicas.
From what I've been seeing pictures of I don't think brassicas are safe either.

I have a 10 acre hay field that they wiped out. Afterwayi read about them and it seems they prefer grass but will also hit corn and beans. So far they have not hit my other 10 acre hay field near by or the adjacent bean field. From what I read they do not tolerate cold so chances or return next year to the same farm and are very slim.

Top Bottom