Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Arrow length compared to draw length?

meyeri

PMA Member
What are you guys running for draw length compared to arrow length?

For some reason I have been shooting 30" arrows for years. I used to have a 30" draw, but I dropped it down to a 29 or 28" draw, can't remember off the top of my head when or what length. Anyway, I ordered some 100 grain inserts and as I was debating how to remove the old inserts I started questioning why I shoot such long arrows. Turns out a 28" arrow fits flush with the edge of my riser at full draw. So what is standard protocol, make them as short as possible? I could actually cut them another inch and still have room before my drop away rest, but 28" seemed like a good number.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

When I shot mechanical heads my arrow was cut to about the front of my riser. Shooting fixed now and I cut arrows about an inch longer to keep blades in front of my fingers. Dropping a drill bit in the nock end and carefully swinging like a slide hammer can work for removing nocks.

When I shot mechanical heads my arrow was cut to about the front of my riser. Shooting fixed now and I cut arrows about an inch longer to keep blades in front of my fingers. Dropping a drill bit in the nock end and carefully swinging like a slide hammer can work for removing nocks.
I tried the whole, "swinging drill bit in the shaft trick". Worked on one, but even with heat applied to a field point it ballooned out or cracked the carbon on the next two I tried.

I tried the whole, "swinging drill bit in the shaft trick". Worked on one, but even with heat applied to a field point it ballooned out or cracked the carbon on the next two I tried.

I know what you mean. Some just won't budge. I wouldn't be putting heat to carbon.

Put field tip in vice, heat it up, screw arrow on to tip pulling as you go. As soon as the inset absorbs enough heat it will break lose.

I like to cut them flush with riser. If you are putting 100gr inserts in that will definitely change the spine of your arrow. Cutting it short will help or bump up a spine. If your arrows are long just cut the shaft shorter and put new inserts in. I've seen heat damage the shaft more times than not when removing inserts.

Make sure your arrows are long enough so the broadhead stays in front of the riser at full draw if using a cable-driven drop away rest.
You dont want your broadhead to contact the bow riser before the drop-away can pick up the arrow - it can de-nock your arrow and cause a dryfire.

Top Bottom