Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Arrow Question

Dallas Ft. Worth

Dallas Ft. Worth
I am getting ready to set up my Elite. I am shooting 80lbs at a 30in draw, I would like to shoot a heaver arrow. I need advice, what arrow would be best for me?

The 450 Carbon Express Hunter "may" work but your pool of choices will be about as large as a the kill zone on a prarie dog ;)

Not many will be stiff enough to handle that set-up but I'd start there and wouldn't even consider a spine above 300.

I also have an Elite however, mine is at 75 pound with same draw length. I shoot Easton Axis carbon arrows at 400...kinda pricey but i like them

I shoot a 70lb. Hoyt and love Gold Tip XT Hunter's in 7595 spine. They should handle your 80 lbs. pretty well and won't break the bank either. They shoot great out of my bow.

I also have an Elite however, mine is at 75 pound with same draw length. I shoot Easton Axis carbon arrows at 400...kinda pricey but i like them

I hope you mean 300 spine.

Any 300 spine should work fine. Easton Axis 300's would be a great arrow. Your gonna also want to watch your arrow weight. I would shoot for 440-500 grains total arrow weight. Most 300 spine arrows will put you right in that ballpark.

Last edited:
How can you shoot that much weight with only 9 fingers Dallas?

Seriously, the GoldTip 7595 are what I'd recommend.

I hope you mean 300 spine.

Any 300 spine should work fine. Easton Axis 300's would be a great arrow. Your gonna also want to watch your arrow weight. I would shoot for 340-400 grains total arrow weight. Most 300 spine arrows will put you right in that ballpark.

Box says 400 (then again who knows:rolleyes:) Took bow to bass pro since I didn't know what the hell I was doing and they helped me pick out the correct arrows so I wouldn't have them explode in my face.

Yes. 300 spine. 400 would be too weak IMO but may not notice if shooting mechanicals as far as tune goes. 340 would be too light for TAW, stay in that 400-450 range and you'll get better penetration, quieter bow, and be over 5 grains/lb which can wreak havoc on your limbs if your below that.

I guess I forgot to mention they are slim tech arrows. Which means yes they have a slim diameter but a thick wall. They said that they would hold up and were very durable. I really haven't had any problems with them, yet.

Box says 400 (then again who knows:rolleyes:) Took bow to bass pro since I didn't know what the hell I was doing and they helped me pick out the correct arrows so I wouldn't have them explode in my face.

.400's are way under spined for 75 lbs, you'd need a .300 spine setup.

80lb what are you hunting rhino?

Maybe these would work for you:D

17cba33b.jpg

Please do not shoot a 75 # bow at 30" draw with only a 400 spined arrow. That would be incredibly underspined and totally dangerous to shoot. Whoever told you that those are a match to your bow is looking for a lawsuit. Find someone who knows what they are doing to help you out and take those back and demand a refund - they're lucky you haven't broken one off in your arm already. 75/95's are actually only 340 spine and would also be too weak. Do not take Gold Tips shaft size numbers as the gospel in handling that kind of weight, I shoot 340 spine with a 60# bow and they are barely stiff enough for my 125 gr heads.

I had a pair of guys come in the shop one day to help me tune their bows as they were getting erratic arrow flight. They'd both just got new arrows at a large Box store and they sold them 500 arrows for their 70# bows. Salesmen told them the 500 meant 500 grains and that was what they needed. WOW! 500 spined arrows would be good to maybe 50# with most hunting setups. I wouldn't even let em shoot them on my range, way too unsafe. Sent them back to the big city for a refund.

With an 80# aggressive bow at 30" draw a 300 spine arrow would barely be enough. With that heavy of an arrow normally I would recommend a 125gr broadhead just to get enough FOC (front of center) weight for better arrow flight, but that much weight might break down your spine too much. May want to look into the Axis Dangerous Game series at 250 spine - would have enough kinetic energy for a Sherman tank with that setup.

Last edited:
Top Bottom