Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Asking Permission

First of all, you are absolutely right in not asking for this guy.
1) Why did he wait until days before the season to ask?
2) Why is he beggin from his buddy to ask for him? Does he have a confrontation issue or is he simply taking advantage of you?

Your friend should have been out scouting, picking up sheds, and banging on doors all summer and spring, not waiting until the last minute and then taking advantage of someone who's done their homework.

Regards,
tjm

Procrastinating is one thing,I've done that many times but, I would'nt ask for him. It's his job to do.
I think this is your best bet. Take the clown with you it see the land owner. Tell the owner you would like to hunt his land again. Then introduce the friend as a hunting partner. Be sure the owner knows the new guy will be hunting alone and not with you, only on the same farm. Take the new guys vehicle to ask permission so the owner can recognise it.
How well do you know this guy? I'm very cautious about representing other hunters. If he screws up the impression he leaves will be your burden. He seem a little childish getting his dander up over you not asking for him. I would'nt put up with that for long!
The majority of bow hunters don't do alot of timber walking in the hot months. Most scout from the roads and as the season approaches step up the tempo. I don't hunt for sheds. (can't find mushrooms either) I have asked permission to hunt pieces of ground during season. Nothing wrong with that! If I get a line on a good buck I'll ask other hunters if I can also ask for the same permission they have. I hate being "bumped" and won't do it to others. I just got permission to hunt a nice buck on land I've never hunted as soon as early muzzleloader is over. All you have to do is ask. Years ago I was reluctant about asking permission to hunt. Not any more. I wish I had more stands! Good hunting spots are there for the asking.

i agree scout.....there are lots of places to hunt. I had a landowner show me a place last week that had never been bowhunted before, and shotgun hunted last year for the first time. He was very accomodating and it is a very cherry looking spot! Would not have gotten it if I hadn't double checked that it was ok for me to hunt(I had asked in May). The great people I meet on my bowhunting travels is a big part of the fun for me!

Swanny, You should have asked for LIFE TIME PERMISSION! Never heard of such a thing? It must exist. Alot of shotgun groups around here MUST have it. I guess it works like this.... Ask once and hunt it every year after! No need to check back. I've seen groups hunt land that has changed hands since they asked permission and when confronted reply "We have always hunted here" as if nothing was wrong.

Ditto on Todd's reply. Swanny your feelings are correct.

He needs to practice being a responsible hunter on his own.

Top Bottom