Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Aspen Cost Share

risto2351

I walked my timber with the wildlife biologist on Friday.

He said that they have a new cost share program at $200.00 an acre to help the ruffed grouse but will also help your TSI for deer management.

Since Aspen has a long root system, in the cost share program they are asking to clearcut the Aspen and a ton of suckers will regenerate from doing this on the root system. The area will get real thick and the deer will bed in it and also browse on the regeneration of the aspen. They will grow 4 to 5 foot in a year.
The grouse love the buds and it will be a huge plus for them.

This cost share is only in the Allamakee, Chickasaw, and Clayton county areas.

I am not aware of it being available in chickasaw, but it is available in winneshiek. The state has done a ton of this work on the WMA's and they are looking to help landowners get this going on their property as well. This is a great opportunity to improve habitat.

I walked my timber with the wildlife biologist on Friday.

He said that they have a new cost share program at $200.00 an acre to help the ruffed grouse but will also help your TSI for deer management.

Since Aspen has a long root system, in the cost share program they are asking to clearcut the Aspen and a ton of suckers will regenerate from doing this on the root system. The area will get real thick and the deer will bed in it and also browse on the regeneration of the aspen. They will grow 4 to 5 foot in a year.
The grouse love the buds and it will be a huge plus for them.

This cost share is only in the Allamakee, Chickasaw, and Clayton county areas.

Does anyone know is this is available in Minnesota? I have 25 acre timber stand of nothing but aspen and I would do this in a heart beat, great idea!

I am not aware of it being available in chickasaw, but it is available in winneshiek. The state has done a ton of this work on the WMA's and they are looking to help landowners get this going on their property as well. This is a great opportunity to improve habitat.

JW,

You are correct. Thank you for catching that.
It was in the three counties in the NE corne. Winneshiek being the other one with Allamakee and Clayton.

Hardwood11 said:
Does anyone know is this is available in Minnesota? I have 25 acre timber stand of nothing but aspen and I would do this in a heart beat, great idea!

Nope, just an Iowa thing. It is called the State Wildlife Grant (SWG) and very narrowly limited to 3 counties in NE Iowa.

Top Bottom