Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Banquet comments

muddy

I have to say that it would be nice to cut the banquet time down, sitting in that room for nearly 6 hours got to be quite LONG.

[ QUOTE ]
I have to say that it would be nice to cut the banquet time down, sitting in that room for nearly 6 hours got to be quite LONG.

[/ QUOTE ]
DITTO!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't want to be the first to say it...but....

I was having fun until the speaker started...that's when I kinda dozed off..
blush.gif

It did run long.Monty talked longer than I thought he would. The 40th anniversary had us doing some extra things but hey you only have one 40th.
Ralph & Vicki C. next year.

I spoke with Monte for a bit before the banquet. He was incredibly impressed with everything around him. The people, the Banquet set up, and the general atmosphere. I think he got a little caught in the moment and probably thought everyone was having just as much fun as him. I enjoyed his time on stage, yes it could have been a few short stories shorter, but to me it's just one night out of a year and I enjoyed every bit. It was also our 40th Anniversary, so a little extra time wasn't a biggie to me. I purchased the most expensive arrow of my life, but it sure is pretty. The extra bit of time it took to auction those off one by one made a nice difference in the defense fund.

I also thought things went pretty well considering the weather and quite a few people getting in late.

A-lot of neat things go on at one of our banquets, it will be a tough job to decide how to trim it down in my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
it will be a tough job to decide how to trim it down in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would start with all the awards...

I think it is great to award the kids and promote bowhunting to the fullest.

But sitting through seeing "Joe Super Bowhunter" get his 23rd award for a trophy rabbit gets a little old.

Obviously, I am being sarcastic to make my point.

IMO, the speaker was simply on stage for way to long.

"IMO, the speaker was simply on stage for way to long."

"I was having fun until the speaker started...that's when I kinda dozed off"

Sounds like a couple of the boys ran out of beer.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a couple of the boys ran out of beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kiddin! I don't blame DD though...he was saving every dime for that way cool Mystery Bag!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

For me it is an evening to get together with fellow bowhunters and enjoy some time together. It raises money for the best organization for sportmen in the state. As for the speaker, he may have been a little windy at times, but it was much better than listening to some pimp stand up there and gives a 45 minute commercial or tell us that we should let crossbows in our bow season. The awards can get a little tiresome.

We do....if you are not capable of drawing a BOW. I hear you can use them in some other states though if that is what interests you.

I know I'm chiming in late here but after discussing this with some other IBA members who attended the banquet I thought I would. Hopefully somebody at the IBA will read.

I didn't attend this years banquet, mainly because after attending the last three years I just didn't want to sit through another. The program is just way too long. My suggestions:

Reduce the recognition segment: Yeah I've been told that some think the whole purpose of this is that it's an awards banquet, I disagree. I think for the most part those who attend do so to support the IBA and to enjoy the company of other club members, they aren't there to see an awards show. How about we put an award winners board out in the lobby area with names and pictures, that would allow those in attendance to look it over at their leisure. I'd keep the youth categories as part of the main program because I think they should receive some encouragement but the rest of the categories could just be a blanket recognition. Have everybody receiving an award stand up and be recognized, certificates and other awards can be handed out beforehand or mailed.

Speaker: Give them a time limit. I wasn't there but I've heard a few comments that Monty went on far too long. In the past I don't think it's been too much of an issue. Chuck Adams was very entertaining, even my wife found his stories fascinating. Michael Waddell spoke about the hunting tradition and while I thougt he could have been more entertaining I didn't feel he went on too long. I'm sure Ralph and Vicki will be very entertaining. Regardless, there has to be a limit because there's just too many otherthings to get in.

Raffles: Geez, how about drawing the prizes while we're young. To be honest I don't think I'll be buying any more raffle tickets if I have to sit there 4 hours before they first raffle is drawn. Maybe that's the plan to keep more people there but I think you should get those raffles drawn within say 3 hours of banquet start.

Auctions: They could be a little faster paced. How about more silent auctions, prices still seemed to go pretty high and that would take less time.

I'll more than likely attend the 2008 banquet but if it drags on like past years I don't think I'll be going to any more. I've heard complaints from others alomost every year about how long the banquet is, I hope the IBA board members will finally listen to their members.

[ QUOTE ]
I think for the most part those who attend do so to support the IBA and to enjoy the company of other club members, they aren't there to see an awards show. How about we put an award winners board out in the lobby area with names and pictures, that would allow those in attendance to look it over at their leisure. I'd keep the youth categories as part of the main program because I think they should receive some encouragement

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a decent idea. I don't believe most come for the awards either. It is a tradition though, and I do think an "awards board" would go over nicely. Have someone like "Rudd" put a nice background board together and there ya go.

The kids are first and foremost, keep bringing them upfront.

I missed the photo contest, always enjoyed that.

First let me say that the IBA does a GREAT job promoting and protecting the quality bowhunting we enjoy in this state. I am very thankful for the job they do and want to support them in every way that I can.

This was my first banquet... and I was disappointed. I am sure it takes a lot of logistics and people helping out, but for as long as this has been organized it ran on very long.

Monty is a first class gentleman and I overall enjoyed his stories,.... but it would be nice if speakers would be instructed to include slides, visuals, etc. in their talks to engage the audience better. Also having the speaker last is a poor choice in my opinion.

If the IBA feels the need to give out the Bowhunter certificates each year then save them for the end. I personally could care less about getting a certificate for harvesting a deer but I enjoy seeing the younger hunters honored.

My first banquet was last year. It was too long. But hey, nothin's perfect. Nice job guys! A couple of suggestions. The awards board, like the idea. With pics. However, I think the kids and women need to be on the board and recognized,INDIVIDUALLY! The kids went up in a group, then there was confusion getting the awards to them, then there was a couple of pics taken. They should be called up one by one like at graduation, handed their award then the next name called, have them wait until all the kids recieve their award then get a group photo. I know of a parent who wasn't able to get a very good pic. The kids awards should also be done early. The raffles, should be drawn periodically through out the whole night. I realize that your trying to raise money, but dragging it out too long will probably hurt attendance at the next banquet, thus less $$. Over all it was a nice get together. I'll be back next year. Keep up the good work!!

Top Bottom