Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

BEANS!!!

Wi transplant

PMA Member
Thought I would share the nice "suprise" I got yesterday! I finaly went "inside the fence" of my project fencing off 1.5 acres of beans to "save" let grow for late season hunting and i pulled (1) plant out root and all . And when it came up I almost shit! Look at all the beans !!! 162 pods on one plant!!!!!! Dispite having "dust plots" for my other brassica plots this was a very nice suprise!! Just an FYI. I planted them around April 26th and fertilized heavy! Put a big smile on my face!!! Pray for rain for other fall plots!!!!
45957fb366a74cd7485005471cd92746.jpg
4fa8850784f605d75eb17e090aaca3a1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Just saw this. Really nice looking! At “162 pods”.... u only beat my beans by about 160 pods!!! Well done & later in year gonna be great!!

I would say with the majority of the growing season being done and lack of other food (via plots), that it might be a good idea to open it up to allow the deer to eat on the green leaves. I really don't think they are going to eat the beans down significantly now. I guess it may depend on what feeding pressure they would be exposed to if fence is down too. Hopefully once the leaves start to turn your brassicas will be far enough along to keep your deer in the area also. Just my opinion. I am curious what others think on this as well.

My 2c is the purpose of the fence is to let the beans grow big and pod out. You've accomplished that. I think I'd open it up.

Yes they are full grown and I have fall grains coming in nice ! But my brassicas are only 1in tall right now and just don't want my 1.5 acres of beans wiped out before dec? Worried I won't have a "late season plot" Or will they pretty much leave alone till then ? Leaves are falling off and I overseeded brassicas into half the bean plot before last week's rain .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Just from what ive seen.... will they eat the beans? ..... sure... a little. But there are far more preferred food sources until it gets COLD. Then the beans get hammered.

Not to hijack the thread but a similar question. When do you start to knock down standing corn? I've got 5 acres (free seed & a buddy to plant it cheap) on the farm & have never had a grain plot before.

Top Bottom