Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Beekeeping

That was one of the places that I was looking at, but was wondering if there was anyone closer that had quality bees.
I know Ebert Honey out of Mt. Vernon sells bees. I would reserve a package now, as they do run out. You can figure out equipment for them between now and April when packages are usually ready for pick up.
I order a lot from Mann Lake Bee Supply in MN, or Dadant like said above. Lots of good places. Also, Lappe as well as Spring Valley Honey Farms in Perry. Quite a drive though from Waterloo/CR area. I think they may be others though. I'm guessing Ebert's sells equipment too.

Better watch out, those bees will be transporting CWD with all the prions in the soil/plants/flowers... I am totally joking of course, as one of my coworkers is big into honey and generally I get all I want... The thought of getting stung keeps me from doing it myself

Thanks guys, sounds like you guys all had good experiences with all of the places I had found online. Will do a little more research. Any other suggestions let me know

You need to talk to Doyle Kincy, president of Mid Iowa Archers and a bee keeper and honey producer. He has a ton of knowledge about the topic. His honey has won the blue ribbon at the state fair the last two years.

I saw this post: https://iowacity.craigslist.org/grd/d/homestead-spring-honey-bee-packages/6813721834.html

I’ve seen bee equipment at Thiesen’s in Coraville, though I didn’t check prices.

I hope the one hive we captured will survive this winter. We used to keep bees, took a break when we lost them one winter. First packages we bought were around $40. Price has really come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a good price for Bees and Boxes and he is close to you. I would jump on this.

A bill was introduced yesterday to make disturbing a hive a criminal offense. I remember either last year or the year before there was an entire apiary wiped out somewhere around Cedar Rapids. The Iowa Conservation Alliance, which the IBA is part of, voted to support this bill.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=SF285&ga=88

Maybe the law will have a little sting to it and not be honey coated.

A bill was introduced yesterday to make disturbing a hive a criminal offense. I remember either last year or the year before there was an entire apiary wiped out around Cedar Rapids. The Iowa Conservation Alliance, which the IBA is part of, voted to support this bill.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=SF285&ga=88

Maybe the law will have a little sting to it and not be honey coated.
What’s this world coming to??!?!
The IBA took a stance:D:D

Glad to see. Guess I assumed that was already the case as I thought they were treated like livestock.

What’s this world coming to??!?!
The IBA took a stance:D:D

Hate to burst your bubble but the IBA probably won't register on this bill. We are part of the ICA and on some bills that don't fit into the IBA's lane we don't register but support them through the ICA. Ducks Unlimited, PF and several other groups do the same, but I know what you mean. ;)

Glad to see. Guess I assumed that was already the case as I thought they were treated like livestock.

I was reviewing a piece of proposed legislation today for surcharges on fines for crimes against agriculture. Crops and livestock. Bees are indeed in the livestock category. Who knew? I guess cyball did.

I was reviewing a piece of proposed legislation today for surcharges on fines for crimes against agriculture. Crops and livestock. Bees are indeed in the livestock category. Who knew? I guess cyball did.
We had a few bee keepers in central Iowa have their hives knocked over several times by jack wagons.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Stopping at Lappe in East Peru on Saturday to pick up some Italian bees. Figured we'd give it a shot this year with one hive and see how it goes . Planted a ton of hardwoods and a couple dozen fruit trees last month.
210fad2ec6eebb40e2c060711fb428ed.jpg
d198302cffcccfc3dd02df9020a4c79f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Those of you that have bees, how are they doing this spring? It’s been really wet and cold off and on. Not ideal for them. Mine seem to be progressing kinda slow, but maybe my expectations were too high.

Those of you that have bees, how are they doing this spring? It’s been really wet and cold off and on. Not ideal for them. Mine seem to be progressing kinda slow, but maybe my expectations were too high.

I have some going gang busters and some that are slow. I have fed the slower hives for rainy days so they can build up.

I’ve split my splits already and had one of them with swarm cells.....good thing about the rain is they aren’t getting alfalfa cut and it’s blooming like crazy

This your first year? Packages or nucs? Are u feeding?

First year. Bought a nuc, but I was pretty disappointed. Seemed more like a couple frames with a little brood and a couple frames of comb. I have given them syrup, but they don’t seem to be taking it. Been about three weeks and they haven’t even started making comb on a lot of the frames in the first deep box.

Top Bottom