Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Been awhile......

bowman

Super Moderator
After setting a lofty goal for myself in 2016, three seasons passed without a buck harvest. My goal was to harvest a buck that would outscore my biggest buck. The problem........ I haven't seen one. The reality is that no matter how old a buck gets, he may never be a high scorer. But an old buck is an old buck regardless of score and no less a trophy. It takes a genetic freak to achieve that "huge" status. The past three seasons have been dedicated to a buck I called Bob due to his bobbed tail. That pursuit came to an end when my landowner found Bob dead while shed hunting. This is a pic of Bob taken from my video when I encountered him on the ground last November. Bob won and I had three buckless years to show for it. But the chess match was fun!
20181120_181845-1024x576.jpg

Going into my 4th season since I've shot a buck, I was anxious to get it done. I hunted hard 12 days out of my 14 day vacation with no sightings of anything that would classify as "huge". I then hunted nearly every day off from work. I logged so many hours I lost track.

I have to give my son, Hayden, the credit for this one. I was down last night and debating on whether or not to go the morning after Thanksgiving. Hayden told me that I would regret it if I didn't go and encouraged me to get out there. He even wrote me a note duplicating a note he wrote his brother Trent in 2018 when he got his biggest buck.

When this guy came walking in on the morning of November 29th, I got that excited feeling that I had been waiting for. With 6 does to my left and the buck steadily walking by on my right, getting my bow off the hook and turned in the stand was challenging. I was able to calm my nerves to get ready for the shot. My first shot at a buck with my new Ironwill broadheads flew true at 34 yards and he went less than 45 yards before going down within sight. I was pumped!!

After waiting for 4 years to harvest a buck, I'm super pleased with this guy!!! 143 6/8" 8 point. I've shot bucks that score much higher, but none got me more excited than I was that morning, and still am today.

Special thanks to my son Hayden and my future son-in-law Justin for helping me drag, load, and take pictures! What a day to be thankful for!

FullSizeR_21-768x1024.jpg
FullSizeR_20-1024x768.jpg
FullSizeR_7-1024x768.jpg
FullSizeR_19-1024x768.jpg
20191129_081939-768x1365.jpg
20191129_051322-768x1365.jpg

Congrats on mature brute! Great combo with elite bow & iron will. ;). Regardless of score I’d shoot that buck 100 times over. Congrats!

Congrats! Really nice it worked out. At this point, if a deer makes me smile and my heart pound he makes the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In case anyone is wondering, the look Bowman has on his face in every picture is what you are supposed to look like when you harvest a great deer. Enjoy it and have fun! If you can't smile when you have success like that, you should take up a new sport!! Congratulations Bowman on a great buck!!! Great job with the pics as well!!!!

How big was Bob when u found him dead and maybe the previous years BTW? How it goes sometimes. At least u found him & knew his journey of escaping hunters til the end. Looks giant even though didn’t go the way u or many plan it often times.

A bowkill can be exhilarating in a variety of ways - does, coyotes, and yes, bucks that make the pulse jump. Some years I can pass bucks that score 150ish if I think they have upside in the future, other years I am ready to punch a tag on a buck that makes me pick the bow off the hanger - but scores less than the one I passed the season before. Every year can be so different depending on circumstances, but a well placed arrow is no less gratifying in either case.

Well done Wayne.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom