Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best camera for the money?

What camera is best for the money?

• Scoutgard

Votes: 40 59.7%
  • Cudde

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • Leaf river

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is the wolfguard from graywolfwoolens the same as the scoutguard? I'm looking to get a new camera pretty quick here to see what makes it through the season. I was going to get a cuddeback ir because i had a nontypical 35mm until it was stolen. Is the scoutguard/wolfguard ir at night? Also is the security box for the wolfguard camera secure. I hope to not have another stolen? Thanks.

I recently bought a Wildgame 4.0 MP Digital Game Scouting Camera S4 and while it can in no way compare to the Scoutguards and such, for $82 TYD I can afford 3 times as many cams.

Just thought I would mention it for those on a budget or if you need more "eyes" out there. No way to lock it unless you make something of your own but preventing anyone from stealing any cam is iffy at best.

Review

Online source

Decent picture

WV2.jpg

Some nite shots are a little blurry sometimes

Blurrybuck.jpg

No comparison to my homebrews but simply put, they tell me what I need to know...;)

Does anyone know how the bushnell trophy cam compares to the scout guard? One thing I wonder is the sensor on the bushnell "bulges" out and is rounded, much like the sensors on the stealthcams. I thought I read somewhere that this helps the camera catch picture of moving animal better because it picks up movement to the left or right of the camera, before the animal is right in front of the camera. It seems like that would make the camera miss less animals walking in front of it. It looks like the sensor on the scout guard is just a small flat opening on the front, not the rounded bulge like the bushnell. If the camera triggers in 1.2 seconds or whatever it is, if an animal is at a fast walk or trot it would be through the view of the photo before the picture is taken, but if the sensor picks up the movement before the animal is in the view of the camera, the photo would be taken as the animal is in the picture. It's annoying having lots of blank pictures on my brothers moultrie. When you walk in front of my brother's moultrie at a brisk pace it triggers but you are out of the picture before the picture is taken. Just wonder how the bushnell would compare to the scout guard in that way.

My scout guard went for seven months on original batteries before I removed them the timber so they wouldn't get stolen. I'm really impressed with these cameras. I was averaging over 200 pictures a weeek with them

I use 3 scoutgaurds a cuddeback, a stealth cam and a brand new Bushnell. The best is the Scoutgaurd and the worst by a huge margin is the Cuddeback-awful camera!

We run 3 bushnells new cameras, i love the daytime pictures but it seems to lack quality at night. maybe I'm just used to my Moult D-40 great flash pictures at night. I was planning on buying a few more of the new Bushnells but with the IR at night not being that great in a few pictures it has me wondering, but maybe that is just what a IR at night looks like. I will say i did have a Covert cameras earlier this year and it completely froze up at week ago and was unable to get working again and had to take back and get my money back after only being in the woods for about 3 weeks

I just went and pulled 3800 pictures off of my 2 scoutguard cameras. Very reliable easy to use and on batteries, reasonably priced. IMO

I just acquired a new lease and have never set foot on this proprty until the day i decided to lease it. I was looking for 3 cams in the $100-$150 range. So i bought the Primos Truth cam 46, the new Moultire D55ir and the WildGame innovations 4.0. I wanted to try all 3 and see what worked best for me. I currently run 7 Moultrie 5.0ir and have had huge good luck with them. Batteries in the last couple winters have been stellar with them lasting around 4-6 months on fairly active sites. I was going to go with the Moultries but wanted to give some of the others a try. They have been out for about 2 weeks and after checking them i can tell you that the Wildgame Innovations is the first to be returned.Slow trigger, batteris at 50 % already, case had moisture in it. Its a toss up between the Moultri and the Primos as both have good night pics, compariable trigger speeds, and ease of use. One thing love about the Primos is the spikes on back of camera for mounting. Makes it much easier to mount in a stable position. Moultrie finally figured out they needed to shrink the size a bit, so thats good but still a little bigger than i'd like. I will run for another 2 weeks and make decision on which one to keep as i want all 3 to be same model.
For the buck, I'm leaning towards the Moultrie, but we'll see. I have the cams right next to each other so it IS a side by side comparison, I'll post result pics soon...
MD

I'm running the moultrie D-55 flash, D-55 IR right now. And so far I love those cameras. They are definitly worth the money at 100 bucks a piece.

I paid $129 for my new Primos 46, and am very pleased with the pictures and quality of the unit. I've taken over 2000 pictures on one set of batteries and they are still showing 85% charge. Time will tell but so far thumbs up. All of the reviews I've read on these cameras have been very positive.

I would go with a scout guard or DLC covert. Basically the same camera, both have really good trigger speed and long battery life. Have had the same batteries in both kinds of cameras since the beginning of June and they are still going. The cheapest place to find the DLC coverts is http://www.woodburyoutfitters.com/. You can get a twin pack of them for $340.

I have 2 moultries and i have a huge problem with rain and moisture getting into them and them not working right. How do these other cameras hold out in these conditions?

I have 2 moultries and i have a huge problem with rain and moisture getting into them and them not working right. How do these other cameras hold out in these conditions?

Wow. There has been a ton of new camera that have come out since this thread was started.

There is a lot of good info here but when I researched trail cameras I went to chasengame.com there is a lot of great info about cameras there.

I love my WGI cameras. I have an IR4 and 2 X6Cs. I also got the new pulse cameras but haven't had it long enough to give my two cents yet. I can agree that the IR4 may have a small trigger speed but I have mine on a feeder and it works great. I get about 3 weeks on the IR4 with 800 photos. I get about 6 weeks with my X6C and 1300 photos from one of them. One of the X6Cs are facing across and one is facing down a trail.

Ihave the WGI ir4 with the barrery that sets on future ground, that thing works great. I took tons of pics last year and never had to change the battery.

Now i see that covert has a new camera out that is 129.00 and you can review your pics right on the remote.I just wish i could find my remote for my covert II when i need it.

Top Bottom