Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

BEST Counties in southeast Iowa

I would agree with IBH1983. Theres alot of counties or areas that get overlooked but they have great pockets in them. I don't think I've ever been in the SE quadrant of the state so im no help there, but I'm sure there are areas that are much better than others.

Need to find areas that do not allow deer drives ! Or big enough timber that's thick so they can't successfully push it out ! Those areas will grow nice bucks for sure!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

NEIGHBORS - like above.
One county that’s overlooked with a ton of potential - Appanoose. Like anywhere- pockets of good & bad. But - if u can find good neighbors who manage right AND police it hard- it’s very solid. Not easy to find but exists. & possibly one of the most affordable or bang for the buck counties out there.
Wapello has some great pockets as well.

I’ll answer. Lee or Van Buren. Can’t go wrong. Can’t control your herd or neighbors unless you own 600ac or more. Most can’t. If not do your part with management and enjoy.

Last edited:
Decatur county isn’t as great as people say it is. I have hunted some awesome pieces down there and have yet to connect on a deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I notice Decatur County gets a lot of exposure,what makes it so good,the Kiskys?
Marketing & the exposure u talk about. PLUS the big farms managed right. But - there’s a lot that isn’t managed right & it’s no different than anywhere else. Let’s call it, 80% of the county.... no different than the neighboring counties or about 20 other counties with timber in iowa.
decatur goes right back to original point.... get the right neighbors with same goals or make it good with your management. Doesn’t need to be XYZ county.

As others have indicated...it isn't really the "county" that makes it, it is the neighbors in pretty much any of those counties. All of the southern Iowa counties can be awesome...or average...it depends on neighbors. And I think that is truer now than ever before...as so many farms are owned/leased by people that are serious deer hunters AND those hunters are far more advanced these days than in years past.

So, for any given buck to get to 5 years old+, he has probably been allowed to walk ("passed") a half dozen times in his life, maybe more. If the "neighbors" are happy to shoot a 130" class 3 year old...then that will limit your 5 year+ much more than a deer drive or two in your neighborhood every year...IMO. BTW...I have shot 130" class 3 year old's in my life and been happy doing it, so I am not putting anyone down for that...everyone is in a different place as to what they are happy shooting. But, if you really want to be hunting giants, you have to let the 3's and 4's walk...and so do the neighbors for the most part.

I agree 100pct!! If your looking to buy or lease put in some leg work it costs nothing to stop in and talk to the people in the neighborhood! No county is awsome all over there are pockets in all southern counties that are a notch above average! Look for the sections that "would be difficult " to do a deer drive . And odds are good there's some good deer living there!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Who would have thought. Covid 2021. Someone can get on a hunting forum and be convinced to move to another state based off other people’s opinions on what counties are better for “deer hunting”

Who would have thought. Covid 2021. Someone can get on a hunting forum and be convinced to move to another state based off other people’s opinions on what counties are better for “deer hunting”
I moved here in maybe like 2002?? I actually did some research into counties that fit what I wanted..... IOWA was the state I was going to- no doubt. Then I just wanted large timbered counties with fewer people. After that- it’s homework & doing a lot to manage, get permission on multiple decent chunks and hunt hard. Hunting hard - no substitute for that either. Learning never ends.
staying in iowa.... that is a done deal. I love it here. Picked some folks brains on things back in the day & it did help. Love it here. Bout 20 years later- it’s awesome place to live & light years ahead of neighboring states for management of whitetail. Not even close. Other States could blow past iowa (POTENTIAL!!!!!!) if they’d remove their heads from their rear ends.

If you were looking to spend $200,000 on a NEW place to live and your last 10 yrs of your life,were else would it be than Iowa?You must have never hunted the states I've been to or hunted for that matter,so opinions do matter and research on where I want to spend my money.

• Deleted by Hardwood11
  • Reason: D
Show…
If you were looking to spend $200,000 on a NEW place to live and your last 10 yrs of your life,were else would it be than Iowa?You must have never hunted the states I've been to or hunted for that matter,so opinions do matter and research on where I want to spend my money.
I see your OP was over 2 years ago, z71, so did you move??

Top Bottom