Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best Late Season Food Sources???

Trapshooter1

This is the first year of having my own property to hunt, And was wondering what you guys have luck with late season???

Probably will be hunting late muzzleloader season. The current producer of the tillable acres on the property was kind enough to let me buy 2-2.5 acres of standing beans from him.

I am asking for future reference. Does corn or Beans or Alfalfa a bigger draw late season???

Being so late in the growing season.. Another question, Is there anything I could hand seed into the standing beans to possibly get some growth and add to the attraction of the plots??

Last edited:
Just my two cents but unless the neighboring properties have standing food than just about any quality food plot/source will be a magnet simply because there not much else in the way of alternatives for the deer. But if I were to rank my preference of late season plots assuming you have cold winter weather it would be
1) Beans
2) Corn
3) Brassicas
And if you have some unusually warm late season days I’ve actually had pretty good luck with clover. It’s not real tall and lush by late season but there’s enough there that they definitely feed in it.

I’ve not tried much alfalfa but I believe skip did a comparison and said that the clover was quite a bit better than alfalfa during late season.

Should add that I just put a couple of plots in to rye a few weeks ago, have never tried it before so I’m anxious to compare it to the clover as far as preference goes.

On 2 acres of beans you can overseed 300 lbs of rye grain and get a nice 2nd option for them right now im doing same thing tomorrow night!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Hard to beat grain, but like other poster said if your only game in town, brassicas can work great too.

In late season it seems the colder it get the better standing beans attract. If it's not super cold, corn seems to win. Again.... thats if the deer actually have a choice.

Late muzzle loader season, anything edible is fair game and exploited by deer to the fullest. I haven't noticed any one thing deer are pulled to over another. Just what's available and accessible. I'd personally stay away from standing corn, as deer can disappear in it. Everything else they can feed on and always be visible.

I love beans in late season, by far my favorite to hunt over.
They can be hard to grow if you have heavy deer pressure . Also, if your field is visible from the road, the deer will be exposed in beans where as they can be more hidden in corn.

They can be hard to grow if you have heavy deer pressure . Also, if your field is visible from the road, the deer will be exposed in beans where as they can be more hidden in corn.
Great points on the exposure of beans. We have 8 or 12 rows of corn around the perimeter of our bean plot on 3 sides. The side towards the timber or crp is the side left exposed

I would say if you have a combo of both, you will have a magnet. Turnips/radish broadcast in the beans make it extra attactive!

Top Bottom