Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best Locker for sumner sausage

Central Iowa

Life Member
Ok lets hear it I have a bunch of boned venison that I want to have summer sausage made of it. Who gets your vote?

Last edited:
Hands down, Hunter Smokehouse in Chariton is the best processing I've ever had. I don't mind tasting "deer" in processed deer. However, Hunter Smokehouse does such a good job, I wouldn't hesitate to give this to someone who hates deer, and not even tell them. Their summer sausage is unique to them. I personally think it tastes like a honey glazed ham. Amazing! I'll drive the two hours for every deer I shoot just have them process it for me. Their sticks with jalapeños and pepper cheese must have crack mixed in with it. Highly recommend this place. Oh, their Italian Sausage tastes like the real deal, not just a lame attempt at seasoning ground deer. We'll eat it simply browned up in a pan with a little salt.

Hunter Smokehouse
57029 Iowa 14, Chariton, IA 50049
(641) 862-4460

Edgewood locker. Probably farther than you were thinking, but by far the best around here. Weber meats in Geneseo, IL has pretty good stuff too.

Hunters Smoke house. Go where you want but at least bring a little to them so you can see that they do a great job. If you do you will go back next year with all your meat and they don't mix meat so you get your own back.

Hunters Smoke house. Go where you want but at least bring a little to them so you can see that they do a great job. If you do you will go back next year with all your meat and they don't mix meat so you get your own back.
They do have a 10 pound minimum per item you order (sticks, sausage, Bologna, etc.). My vote would be to try their sticks with pepper cheese and jalapeños, summer sausage, and Italian sausage. And getting your own, or your own group's deer back is a plus.

Elma, Iowa locker. Lots of different choices. Reg, jalapeño, cheddar, honey/Swiss, to name a few. you won't be disappointed. Check out their webpage and Facebook page, their order sheet is on there....sticks, summer sausage, hotdogs, Bologna and much more! They have won numerous awards....and I sometimes hunt with the owner and his son.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Good morning,
With Kramer’s in LaPorte City closing it’s doors does anyone know of a locker that has a similar product as Kramer’s peppered jerky?

Good morning,
With Kramer’s in LaPorte City closing it’s doors does anyone know of a locker that has a similar product as Kramer’s peppered jerky?
I have never tried Kramer's, but the best I have found is Mark's Locker in Rowley. Get the pepper jerky and I'm fussy on good jerky.

The bearded butchers have a recipe on YouTube and show the entire process. It's an ok recipe, but I'm looking for something a little better still for a recipe.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

I used to use the High Mountain black pepper jerky cure available at HyVee. I’d take it to work and they’d clean it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never tried Kramer's, but the best I have found is Mark's Locker in Rowley. Get the pepper jerky and I'm fussy on good jerky.

Mark’s is very good. Honestly I prefer Edgewood, but I always take some to Mark’s because I like their sticks too.

Guys might want to look into nimrod meats in Iowa falls it’s a new locker. We got brats and breakfast sausage made with our wild hogs there this summer. All I can say is they are some of the best brats I’ve ever had. The owner told us he wants Edgewood quality for a fraction of the price. And going off the breakfast sausage and brats I’m gonna say he’s already competing.

Ohrt’s Smokehouse in Ionia. Best I’ve had. They usually have a booth set up at the classic too right when you walk in

Top Bottom