Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best Muzzleloader Bullet?

Hill Holler

I'm sure this has been hit on before, but what is anyone's opinion on a good muzzleloader bullet? The last few years I have been using the Thompson Center shockwave with mixed results. I shot a couple deer with those bullets, but barely had any blood trail and got lucky enough to see them fall within eyesight. With the recent news of Thompson Center closing its doors I could no longer find the Shockwaves, so I bought the Thompson Center XPTs. On two different occasions this past season, I shot two does with the XPT bullets. Both shots on the does were about 105 yards, perfectly broadside, and know I hit them pretty well (big mule kicks). Both times there were ZERO blood at all at impact or on the trail I saw them run away one. I spent over 1.5+ hours each time walking around tiring to find blood or the deer with no luck. Any suggestions? I have heard Barnes bullets would be a good option.

Using Barnes Shockwave in the bp rifle, Hornady XTP 250 gr in the smokeless guns. Got some Barnes Originals 300 grain 45/70’s for the smokeless but don’t care for the recoil. Did not like Hornady SST’s.

I'm sure this has been hit on before, but what is anyone's opinion on a good muzzleloader bullet? The last few years I have been using the Thompson Center shockwave with mixed results. I shot a couple deer with those bullets, but barely had any blood trail and got lucky enough to see them fall within eyesight. With the recent news of Thompson Center closing its doors I could no longer find the Shockwaves, so I bought the Thompson Center XPTs. On two different occasions this past season, I shot two does with the XPT bullets. Both shots on the does were about 105 yards, perfectly broadside, and know I hit them pretty well (big mule kicks). Both times there were ZERO blood at all at impact or on the trail I saw them run away one. I spent over 1.5+ hours each time walking around tiring to find blood or the deer with no luck. Any suggestions? I have heard Barnes bullets would be a good option.
Barnes TMZ here. If you search using those words you should come up with some solid reads. Also think CWalker switched to Thors this year with great results

Barnes MZ bullets were always my favorite but Barnes was part of the Freedom Group with Remington that went bankrupt due to school shooting nuisance lawsuits. Therefore Barnes have been hard to get for a few years. Now Sierra bullets has bought out the rights to Barnes and they are in production again, including starting production soon of the very popular hollow Point MZ bullets.

So I loved how my Barnes TMZ’s performed however I had issues with the sabots with my barrel. As in I’d get the bullet started then I’d have to put all my weight on the ram rod to get it down a clean barrel. So this year I needed something new because a second shot wouldn’t be an option.

I switched to Thor bullets this year. They are a Barnes X bullet. Still 100% copper but are sabotless. They have a slightly faster velocity as well. I went with the bore specific hammer bullets and sized my bore. I couldn’t be happier with the performance. The accuracy is better than any bullet I’ve ever shot. The blood trail on my LM buck could have probably been followed by a blind guy. Blood was everywhere. I shot a doe as well and she dropped in her tracks at 50 yards. Didn’t keep the blood from spewing out though. Shot a coyote at 75 yards and it folded..

You get the same bullet expansion as the TMZ And TEZs but more accuracy. Yeah they are a slightly more expensive but worth it in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to switch this year. I tested the new Federal (absolute trash), powerbelt (moderate trash), and Hornady. The Hornady were by far the most accurate, but performance on my wife's buck this year left much to be desired. Clean hole, no signs of expansion. Luckily she took off the top of his heart. I am going to be testing Thors this next year after hearing a lot about them.

I shoot Parker Emax out of my smokeless and they are devastating. I just looked at their website and they offer plenty of other .50cal sabot bullets.

I shoot Parker Emax out of my smokeless and they are devastating. I just looked at their website and they offer plenty of other .50cal sabot bullets.
Do you know what the needed velocity is for those Parkers? I've seen the destruction they cause, but says they need high velocity muzzleloaders. Didnt know if they would work is a standard muzzy using 777 or Blackhorn 209

Do you know what the needed velocity is for those Parkers? I've seen the destruction they cause, but says they need high velocity muzzleloaders. Didnt know if they would work is a standard muzzy using 777 or Blackhorn 209
I have no idea! But I do know if you call them the owner is the one that answers the phone. He is wildly knowledgeable. And I am sure would be able to answer your question.

Hornady XTP for sure. Good blood trail!

Hornady SST 250 grain. This was the shot that put down my buck after I spined him. I love the accuracy but I’m making a change next year, to a bullet that actually expands.
image.jpg

Hornady SST 250 grain. This was the shot that put down my buck after I spined him. I love the accuracy but I’m making a change next year, to a bullet that actually expands.
View attachment 124586

Things change. I started using SST’s when I first got my small and they were grenades! Fragmented big time. Then I went to XTP’s and been using them since.

Most of my ml bullets are 10• yrs old, as I buy in bulk.

Things change. I started using SST’s when I first got my small and they were grenades! Fragmented big time. Then I went to XTP’s and been using them since.

Most of my ml bullets are 10• yrs old, as I buy in bulk.

For whatever reason, the SST’s through my slug gun are absolute hammers! Not in the muzzleloader though.

Used to use the Hornady SST. No expansion and barely any blood. Switched a couple years ago to the Barnes Expanders. Huge hollow point that knocks deer flat. Haven’t had to trail one but much better performance from a damage or blood standpoint.

Nobody’s gonna like this but I’m gonna’ say it anyway. I’ve had extremely good luck with PowerBelt bullets. I shoot the Copper-plated AeroTip 295 grain and my son shoots the AeroTip Platinum. With 1 or two deer each for the past 8 or 9 years, we rarely have to track and most often we get DRT. We shoot them out of a variety of CVA Optima and Knight DISK rifles over 150 grains of Triple 7 and White Hots.

Nobody’s gonna like this but I’m gonna’ say it anyway. I’ve had extremely good luck with PowerBelt bullets. I shoot the Copper-plated AeroTip 295 grain and my son shoots the AeroTip Platinum. With 1 or two deer each for the past 8 or 9 years, we rarely have to track and most often we get DRT. We shoot them out of a variety of CVA Optima and Knight DISK rifles over 150 grains of Triple 7 and White Hots.

How cold is it when you are shooting those deer, late season?
I used to use powerbelts too until I missed 2 bucks in brutal cold one year(below zero for highs). I took the gun home and figured out it was shooting almost 2' low until the barrel warmed up. About 4 shots in and they were back on target. They just fit too loosely in the barrel when cold. That was using a 54 caliber knight. I haven't tried them again since that year.

Hornady XTP. Pass through is nice for trailing, but usually does enough damage that you'll find your deer within 60yrds or so. Try to restrict shots to less than a 100yrds though.

I used to use powerbelts too until I missed 2 bucks in brutal cold one year(below zero for highs). I took the gun home and figured out it was shooting almost 2' low until the barrel warmed up. About 4 shots in and they were back on target. They just fit too loosely in the barrel when cold. That was using a 54 caliber knight. I haven't tried them again since that year.
Very interesting I didn't know that could happen. I took a shot this winter at my #1, shot was way low ,clean miss 110 yds on a brutal -10 day, i had left the gun in unheated blind so it was cold cold, brought muzzle loader home put in house shot the next day. It was right on . Shot felt great. Couldn't believe how or why I was so far off, now I'm wondering if I should put the gun in a deep freezer and try to replicate the conditions.

I think that can happen, as well. Per my post above, the first doe at I shot this year was the day with -40 windchills. I'm sure I still hit the doe, but I do think it was a possibility that I hit her low. I waited until I got to the blind to load my gun that day and it was an absolute bearcat to get it loaded cause the barrel was so shrunk up due to the cold. I thought I bent my ram rod trying to get the bullet down. I definitely think that has to have some accuracy restrictions when shot in that extreme of cold.

Top Bottom