Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best SCOPE for AR - .308????

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
So, mid-range in price, let's say $400-700. I don't think I'll be doing sniper type stuff. Maybe a deer is out at 500 yards (in actuality, yes, I'm talking about going on a KS rifle hunt in a few years with it) in some freak scenario. Really though, I would imagine most would be the 50-350 yards (and even though I say 350- that would be not common with how I usually set up). Need easy, good quality scope, maybe look at the scopes you can turn (yes I'm an idiot) - whatever you call that dial stuff?!?!? Here's one meant for .308 that I'm strongly looking at. What's your thoughts????

Not pimping cabelas BUT they just popped up 1st on the google search for the scope....
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home.../180121680/Nikon-M-308-Riflescope/1383828.uts

If I can dial this one in, pry don't need or want BDC reticles??? I've never had em before & might lean towards simpler BUT you tell me- better? They do have standard reticle for this one too.

Or- just go with a classic, like a VX-3 by Leupold???? No matter what the application, I always lean towards a larger MM scope & a nice wide range for zoom. Like, for example on my ML I have a 3x9x50 Leupold. My old Rifle I shot further so I had something like a 4x13.5x50 or something weird like that cause further- I wanna zoom more. .308 I'll wanna zoom in more too since shoots further than a ML obviously. 4x16 does sound pretty nice for that Nikon!

BUT- you gun nuts tell me, what do I want?!?!?!? I'd prefer to be $400-700 & I don't feel like I'm putting a dog turd on my gun with that. Considering I am not using this thing like I do my bow & arrow. Any special mounts, other things to consider?!?!?!? Tell me what to buy! :)

For the money, not sure if you can beat Leupold or Nikon. I have always liked the 4-16x50 models. I do not own one, but have looked through a few of them and they are the cat's pajamas.

Skip, I sighted in a friends .308 with the Nikon M308 two months ago I was very impressed! For the price including the base and rings you can't go wrong. In fact with that sale price I will order one today for mine. If price was not a concern I would lean towards the Leopold for the AR10 or a Nightforce but they are 2x-3x the price of the Nikon.

Last edited:
Look at the Leo's Boone & Crocket rectacles, they are simple and very effective out to about 500 yds. In my opinion they are hard to beat. I personally am not a fan of the 50 's, I don't think they are worth the extra weight and bulk, but that's just me.

Above was in another thread on accident. I'll post it in here. thx to all of above!!

Its really hard to beat Nikon or Leupold glass. My only reservation with the BDC reticles is that they are designed for a specific, standard load. If that is all you are ever going to shoot through your rifle, then you will be fine. If you ever decide to reload your own and customize loads to your rifle and get the utmost in accuracy, then a BDC reticle will not be the best choice, especially if you load hotter than standard loads. In that case, a BDC reticle will get you close, but you will have to learn the new point of impact for each hold-over line. For example, your 400 yard line may now be 425-450 with a hotter load and at that range, 25-50 yards is a huge difference. You'll just have to spend more time at the range learning where each line's point of impact really is. I load my own for my hunting rifles and because of that, I stay away from BDC reticles. I learn the drop at each range and then I can adjust my elevation knob accordingly.

Nikon M-223 and the Burris PEPR mount. Combined those should run you 400-500 bucks and will be bulletproof. LaRue tactical makes good mounts too if you don't want the Burris.

Nikon M-223 and the Burris PEPR mount. Combined those should run you 400-500 bucks and will be bulletproof. LaRue tactical makes good mounts too if you don't want the Burris.

Would using a m-223 scope on a .308 still work? Or is that scope designed specifically for .223?

Would using a m-223 scope on a .308 still work? Or is that scope designed specifically for .223?

Nikon makes a scope for the .308 caliber as well, the M 308. I'm sure the P 223 would work just fine on a .308 caliber but I think the reticle was designed specifically for the .223.

For the money Nikon always ends up on my guns. I agree with SEIowa on the Burris PEPR mount. They get your scope up to a comfortable height and have the top rails for adding accessories. I plan on mounting a halo type sight to the top of mine for the close up shots. :way:

picture.php

Last edited:
scope

I have one outfitted with a cheap red dot which I absolutely love, I can out shoot all my co workers with there fancy eothechs, I also have one with a p-223 nikon BDC 600 on it all depends what you are going to use it for i guess, the red dot is killer on coyotes!

I like my Nikon scopes. I don't think you will be disappointed. Put it on some good mounts like suggested and you're set.

M308 combo can't be beat... if its 223 go 3-9x40 p223 for the price can't be beat... if u like illumination check out Burris mtac. I have a little bit if everything. ;)

Cabeles has a Zeiss Conquest on sale for $300, was $500 these are also great scopes and a heck of a deal. Good until 3/10 the Nikon M-308 is in the flyer also for $550 with a free mount that looks similar to the Burris mount.

I really don't believe in the BDC scopes. I'd much prefer a mil type reticle and exposed turrets.

Here's what I'd choose:

2.5-10 x 44 Vortex Viper PST--$600
3-10 x 40 Weaver Tactical (midway usa exclusive)--$300
5-15 x 44 Vortex HS (midway usa exclusive)--$500
10 x 40 Bushnell Elite 3200--$200

That's a pretty good slice of your options between 200 and 600. I would also look at a quick disconnect mount like a Larue or American Defense. The PEPR is OK, but for $50 more you can get a 2X better mount.

I did get that Nikon for my .308. I'm going to look at some other options for my other guns. I have an SKS that I want a good scope for BUT I'm not going to spend as much as it's not as nice of a gun and I don't want a whole lot wrapped up into that. Which, BTW- what would you suggest for an SKS, some of above mentioned brands of course, maybe a simple 3x9x40?

Top Bottom