Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best "Stuff" & Gear of 2010 Season

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
So fellas, I did this last year.... What's stuff you bought or used this year that you can't live without? What's some new or just lock-solid stuff you want others to know about? That could be clothes that REALLY keep you warm, a new piece of archery equipment that leaves other similar stuff in the dust, new accessories, stuff you NOW can't live without now that you've switched.

OR stuff that's a nightmare, rip-off, poor quality or big things to stay away from????

Good stuff: For me, a few new things... From a suggestion here I got Fox River sock liners, they help wick away moisture and I do see an IMPROVEMENT vs when I used no sock liners- feet stay more dry and warm.

This is CRAZY but this is the 1st year I used a binocular harness, I cannot believe I used to always use them with normal strap. Get the harness and it saves so much movement & makes them so much more handy it's ridiculous. No interference with bow either. Also- my bow sling, I carry my bow on shoulder now and cannot live without it.

Last- big thing that probably isn't on everyone's list BUT I'll mention it- Lick Creek Blinds (advertise here). WOW- quiet, warm, air tight, nothing I would change about them, priced awesome, custom made- nothing better out there in my opinion and makes poor weather a charm.

Your turn.............

Last edited:
Badlands Bino Case. The best investment I ever made as far as keeping my binoculars, clean, dry, protected. Love it for hunting. The negative side of it is when it gets cold, below freezing the inside lining is noiser than all get out. Its pretty insane loud. You have to be very cautious. I never noticed this noise earlier in the year. I am going to try and line it with fleece this spring because I think that would quiet it down. I still recommend it though because it is sooo nice not having to ever clean your lenses or worry about rain on them.

Cabelas Windshear Berber Fleece: I bought the vest last year and it is very warm, quiet and windproof. Very small to put in your pack and once on your core wont get cold bowhunting in November. I just got the matching pull over and have only worn it once but it will be my go to bowhunting jacket in November. I hunted on a 9 degree morning with a 10mph wind for 3 hours with nothing but a sweatshirt and underarmour on and I was very warm. I could of sat all day. Loving this thing.

Best for last: My favorite piece of equipment is my Cabelas MT050 Goretex gaiters. Man I love these things. It's absolutely amazing to have dry and non muddy pants all the time. No wind draft going up your leg. You would be suprised how warm these actually are. They definitely keep you on stand longer. Another thing is you don't get burrs etc buried in the boot laces. Your boot laces never come un done. I have actually used these to scoot across creeks over my leather boots without getting wet. I absolutely love them. They can get a little hot if it is warm out. I would say over about 60 degrees they actually start to make you sweat. Anything under 50 you are fine. Another downside is all my buddies give me crap saying I am wearing my snake gaiters LOL. If they only knew what they were missing out on.......

NockTurnal lighted nocks.

Somewhat humbling story but to prove the worth of the aforementioned product, I'll forego pride. Shot a deer this year quartering away and hit too far back. Arrow was sticking out and I watched the lighted nock as it traveled near dark a distance of probably 200 yds before it disappeared into the timber. Went out the next day and came up empty-handed. Was out 10 days later (swear it's true) and when walking back to the truck in total darkness, spooked some deer one of which had a lighted green nock in the same position and still as bright as day one. I'm the only one who hunts the area, it was absolutely the same deer. That's insane. HIGHLY recommend.

Tightspot quiver. Simply the best detacheable quiver the industry has to offer. Boss buck decoy(along with a bedded redi-doe)sure duped MANY bucks this year, and caused them to offer me many multiple shot opps. Love my Badlands bino case. My Zen Ray 8 power ED 2 binos that cost $400 new, have a lifetime transferable warranty, and to top this quality of glass, you would have to spend upwards of $1500 or more on European glass. Love my Havalon knives. Best knives I have ever owned, as it is nice to just simply put a new blade in them when one gets dull.

Redfield Rebel Binoculars $150

I wanted a good pair of binos for my mule deer hunt this year, bought these after reading a bunch of reviews claiming they are as good as a $4-500 pair. I am very impressed with the quality and clarity, one of the best things I've bought in years.

picture.php

The HS Kruncher is by far the best purchase I have ever made hands down! I called in 4 bucks over 300 inches this year in one morning and countless does and fawns. In fact it works so well that when I use it, it makes me hungry too. Why do think none of you are seeing the deer numbers that you have in the past? I'll tell ya why! It's because I called them all to my property with this little gem. Better go getcha one :way:

I'll give a second to Lick Creek Blinds...........Talk about relaxing hunting, especially during ML season. Well worth the money and they should last forever. ( barring any tropical storm or tornado )

picture.php

Best cover scent on the market right now IMO. Numerous encounters with deer while on the ground without getting busted. I have used it form the start of bow season up until now. It is supposed to simulate the smell of a bedding area. Hint of urine but mostly the smell of fur and dander. I wiped it on trees, leaves, blinds & clothing seemed to work everytime I used it.

I went a little gear crazy this year...........well........i go gear crazy every year :way:

Grim Reaper 2" whitetail specials........HUGE HOLES
Muck Woody Sport boots.......warm and comfy!
Nockturnal lighted nocks are the best on the market!
Fusion vanes have also become a new fav.
One stringer custom arrow wraps make my arrows look MEAN!

jeremiahpugh-1copy.jpg

There are many others.......but i just can't remember them all now. HAHA

I used the G5 XR2 sight this year... the one with one fixed pin and one adjustable pin. Wow I loved it. I have been a one fixed pin shooter for decades but this changed my mind. I marked the distances on the wheel at 30 and 40. This year I will spend more time practising at 50 and mark one there too. I shot two deer and two bear with the fixed pin at 20, and two deer with the floating pin at 40. I really like this sight.

Carter chocolate addiction release, Cabelas wooltimate jacket and pants, Predator fleece jacket and pants in FG, Cabelas liner socks, and Cabelas 2000 gram thinsulate boots.

Lighted Knocks! - I had missed a deer earlier in the season, and I wasnt able to turn the lighted knock off (I know thats a problem, but its the only one i had a problem with, shot several other and they turned off fine)....anyways the lighted knock stayed lit for weeks!!

Lone Wolf Alpha with sticks! Great comfort, light weight, enables you to walk in and get in any tree in less then 10 minutes!

G5 XR2 sight - Wouldnt use any other sight!

Last edited:
Great thread. I've learned a lot of good tips over the years from this site and continue to do so.

Best new "gear" of the year for me was Emergen-C as recommended by Skully. Drink this stuff when you feel a cold coming on and it almost vanishes. Definitely helped in more comfortable hunts this year.

Santa brought the hooyman saw after seeing some reviews on here, so perhaps I'll make it out this weekend one last time with bow and try it out.

Badlands Monster Fanny Pack! :way:

I have used it all this ML season and it works great for carrying everything I need to hunt from the ground.

Having said that, the weather has been warm and extra clothing or a blind has not been needed.

I think one of the best products I purchased this year was a Muddy harness. It's so much quicker to put on than the standard harness you get with every stand and it is extremely comfortable.

Top Bottom