Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big Creek/ Saylorville Area

jhertel

PMA Member
Was just thinking on heading down that way for the weekend to see the girlfriend and was wondering are these areas over hunted or is there any good public around there? Between that and Boone is where I'm headed so if anyone could help a guy out that would be great! There's a lot of property around big creek and that area I just didn't know if it just got pounded by the city guys down there? Thanks in advance for any advise!!

If you get there about 3 am or so you might find an empty parking lot. There are big deer in that area but guys from Ames, Ankeny, Des Moines and all points in between hunt that place.
I tried walking in a ways to get away from the parking areas only to find myself approaching the parking areas on the other side. Its big, just not big enough for that many hunters.
It can be done though.

I am sure now it is not getting hunted too hard like it was 2 weeks ago. Most have either given up, filled their tag, no vacation left or too cold. There are big deer in the area but they are not easy to kill.

Top Bottom