Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big One Down-Poached

I’ve “confronted people” & “been confronted”.
Vehicles being suspcious... we know it when we see it.... I’ll say anything from “need any help, blah blah blah” to “what u up to?” If they are acting “really bad”. I’m not a jerk- just firm or clear.

I got confronted about 6 months ago while driving with another member on here. Noon & I was driving around block that had a farm for sale with 2 big “for sale signs” & ability to inspect them. I did buy the farm BTW. Guy pulls up to us... “what the F r u doing?!? U creeping around. We don’t like people creeping around here. U understand?!!???!!!??” Guy was a total jack-a$$. I said “ya buddy, I’m buying this farm & do u see the for sale sign?” He didn’t acknowledge & kept giving me crap. I finally caught myself “SELF, cut this conversation off before u lose ur cool”...... I said”gonna buy this farm, nice u watch over the area & bye”. Just left. Bought it the next day and still haven’t ran into that nut job since.

This whole issue is common sense & general people skills. We know there are shady folks & when u see them, handle appropriately & cautiously BUT there’s no way most folks on here are gonna stand by & do nothing. Not happening.
Again, wish dnr could pass laws for massive revenue & fines to completely self fund a robo buck program. OR.... pass a law that I can put out a robo buck or decoy & use my AR to fire back at the vehicle! ;).

• Deleted by Obsessed
  • Reason: Off topic
Show…
I hear what you're saying, but man... I moved to a neighboring county from the one I grew up in, but I still often hunt my old home county. Due to my out of county plates, my vehicle has been vandalized and I have been verbally and physically confronted, while I've been in my truck. Never when I've been out and on foot, but always while I'm in my vehicle. I've got a good idea of why that is and it makes me laugh. The last time it happened, I was pulled over on the side of a gravel road, where I had reception, and was talking to my father on my cell phone. Some old boy pulled up and started reading me the riot act. "Who the F are you?! What the F are you doing out here?!" It pissed me off a bit, but little did he know that I was holding my phone in my left hand and had my right hand on my sidearm. He'd already identified himself as being a hostile asshole, had he taken any further action, he would have been a dead hostile asshole. It ain't worth it boys...
You sound like the tactical comando I see at walmart who open carrys the glock on his leg holster . Ive taken a few chewings and confrontations and never once felt threatened enough to think about a gun lol

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted by Obsessed
Show…
No deer is worth dying for. PERIOD. People are so ate up with protecting their territory that it takes all of the fun out of deer hunting. When your more worried about what everybody else might be doing it is hard to enjoy.

People are so ate up with killing a big deer and jealous of anybody else that does. That's why anybody who kills a big buck must have poached it. People just need to be happy when a big one goes down legally.

My best friend quit hunting deer 30 years ago in Kansas because he said it is the only thing he has seen when best friends become enemies for a few weeks a year. Life is too short. There will always be the dirtbag poachers out there but don't let your conspiracy theories ruin this sport you love so much. The good news for the original poster is that the deer poached was not on his ground or one he was hunting.

If everybody has time to play CO or Sherriff they'll never have fun or success. Ask yourself why did I start to hunt deer in the first place and I bet you'll remember it wasn't to just kill a wallhanger. Stop being so ate up and have fun!!

Funny how people can sound so different than how they really are. You sure you don't work at Walmart. You sound like a greeter or receipt checker there. LOL.

Obviously, I carry for self protection. If an asshole wants to sign a waiver and step into a ring with me for a fair fight, I'm getting older, but I'm still game. This is the real world though. If somebody's off enough to do what I just explained, they've already proven they've got a screw or two loose. I don't know them. They don't know me. We're out in BFE. And I'm being accosted for doing absolutely nothing wrong or illegal. This jack hole could be a complete lunatic, disgruntaled, armed, etc.

I don't carry because I want to use it. I pray I never do. But put me in a situation where I feel my life is in danger, and I won't hesitate. Had that dude gotten out and/or become a physical threat to my life in any way, that would have been the last mistake he would have made.

Back to the initial post that I responded to on here...

If a guy or group of guys, that I don't know, stops in the middle of a gravel road, blocking me in out there in BFE, I guarantee I will feel my life is in danger. If you wouldn't, that's your deal. I pray the rest of us don't read about your body being found by fellow hunters because you didn't recognize a threat and take appropriate action.
You’re the reason I don’t agree with the whole permit to carry...you’re putting yourself in the situation due to the fact that you’re strapped with a pistol at your side for your “protection.” Posting this crap in a whitetail forum bout shooting someone for pulling in front of you... sounds like you need checked for anger management prior to getting a permit and exercising your right to carry.

• Deleted by Obsessed
Show…
I guess that I'm surprised, but not so surprised by all of the attacks on my comments. Sign of the times... I'll keep doing my thing. You all keep doing yours.

The point that I was trying to make, obviously in complete vain, is that if you take it upon yourself to confront 'suspicious' vehicles driving around in your neck of the woods, you may be putting yourself in danger. Because that person may or may not be doing anything wrong, and they may or may not take your actions as a physical threat.

This is coming from fellow long time outdoorsman and hunter.

Take it for what it's worth. Reiterating Elvis; no deer is worth dying over.

I guess that I'm surprised, but not so surprised by all of the attacks on my comments. Sign of the times... I'll keep doing my thing. You all keep doing yours.

The point that I was trying to make, obviously in complete vain, is that if you take it upon yourself to confront 'suspicious' vehicles driving around in your neck of the woods, you may be putting yourself in danger. Because that person may or may not be doing anything wrong, and they may or may not take your actions as a physical threat.

This is coming from fellow long time outdoorsman and hunter.

Take it for what it's worth. Reiterating Elvis; no deer is worth dying over.

I get it man and you’re correct... if a stranger corralled me on the road I would get quite leery. I don’t think I would feel like my life is being threatened, but I would probably have a heightened sense of alertness. You just seemed a little antsy about toting a CC weapon in your posting. I also realize a lot of communication is lost via the inter webs. I would not recommend immediately shooting someone that happens to stop you on the road... even if they ask you “what the F are you doing here?” You would surely not have justification for lethal force in the eyes of a judge/jury.

Also, I have no problem with CC and defending oneself. I too have a CC permit and will defend myself if need be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude, you'd get your ass shot if you did that to me. Just sayin.

Just keeping honest people honest. Believe I know, I'm from Polk county
We have literally cut suspicious vehicles off in the middle of the gravel road to stop them so we can chat with them - way to much stuff stolen in the neighborhood, let alone poaching deer. We make sure everyone gets introduced to us, whether they meant to or not. :)

Just keeping honest people honest. To bad it has come to this, but I understand. On the other hand, had a friend kill a monster this past week. They were pheasant hunting and jumped a monster that they have seen the last couple years. He was injured and not moving very well. They asked the land owner if they could go back home and grab their bows to see if they could put him down? They got the ok and started to track him and was able to put him down. He posted his luck on Facebook and within an hour he had a call from the DNR about a buck that was poached. the DNR officer said his phone blew up along with the officers phone in the next county and the tip line. The DNR officer knows my friend well and said I need to check it out. He scanned the deer and checked it for being killed with a firearm, they went to the field where it was killed and also spoke with the land owner. He was cleared for any wrong doing, but was told by the officer he should have contacted them after he killed the buck. Its not how he wanted to kill him, but he was going to die of his injuries in a day or two and may not have been found till shed season?

Last edited:
Sometimes, but in this case, no. I'd just be protecting myself from a threat. Nothing to do with being angry. Tell me you don't feel threatened if/when a man or group of men stops in the middle of a gravel road and blocks you in.

not really, but if i did feel threatened i would use my trucks feature called reverse long before i thought about pulling a gun.

• Deleted by Obsessed
Show…
Funny how people can sound so different than how they really are. You sure you don't work at Walmart. You sound like a greeter or receipt checker there. LOL.

Obviously, I carry for self protection. If an asshole wants to sign a waiver and step into a ring with me for a fair fight, I'm getting older, but I'm still game. This is the real world though. If somebody's off enough to do what I just explained, they've already proven they've got a screw or two loose. I don't know them. They don't know me. We're out in BFE. And I'm being accosted for doing absolutely nothing wrong or illegal. This jack hole could be a complete lunatic, disgruntaled, armed, etc.

I don't carry because I want to use it. I pray I never do. But put me in a situation where I feel my life is in danger, and I won't hesitate. Had that dude gotten out and/or become a physical threat to my life in any way, that would have been the last mistake he would have made.

Back to the initial post that I responded to on here...

If a guy or group of guys, that I don't know, stops in the middle of a gravel road, blocking me in out there in BFE, I guarantee I will feel my life is in danger. If you wouldn't, that's your deal. I pray the rest of us don't read about your body being found by fellow hunters because you didn't recognize a threat and take appropriate action.
Where do I sign the waiver ?

jJPnw7JHXL97Jt9L8C7KPIQBMhzaOregJbTBzaAfimY.jpg

I hate this time of year around here, we are about a week out from the Kansas firearms season opening and every year it is the same; starting the weekend before Thanksgiving traffic on gravel roads around my house increases 10 fold. I live in a fairly remote part of the county and really only have a couple cars go by during the day or in the evening, that all changes this time of year.

On Sunday from my stand I kept seeing a white Ford with a flatbed circle and slow cruise around, it was a unfamiliar truck. My father in law had seen the same truck the day before while he was cutting beans.

Well last night I met the truck again when I was pulling in the driveway. I had to go check some cows and jumped on my ranger and sure enough met him again going a different direction.

Well about 9:30 I get a text with a picture of a good buck in the back of the truck. Well my neighbor had seen the same truck while he was helping his son with fence and about dark they heard a rifle shot and then the truck comes by again. So they left and then hid their truck and waited and about 30 minutes later the guy comes back and pulls down into a field. The guy ended up getting stuck when he backed up to the buck. They called sheriff and game warden. Ended up being two guys, one lives about 10 miles south of me, the other was from Pennsylvania.

Hopefully they can make the charges stick, of course they admitted nothing and didn't have the buck loaded yet. Game warden told my neighbor it would be a $8,000-$10,000 fine, but neither admitted anything, had some bull story about chasing some truck they seen poaching the buck(mind you there was no other tracks), and they hid their gun before the landowner drove down to them(he was going to go look for it this morning, figured they came back in the night and got it).

I hope they somehow get something on these guys but I have my doubts. I didn't ever have particular deer on camera, but it is less than a half mile from my main farm I hunt and just a little over a mile from my personal farm I own. I knew what they were probably doing driving around that much, but don't know how to stop them, I really hate to know how many times they have done this.

I'm going to go see it tonight but here are a few photos I have of him at this point.

Game Warden took it into local processor and said we would be back in a day or two and that the landowner could have the deer once they get charges filed and their investigation done.

Sorry for the long ramble, the entire situation just infuriates me to no end. For someone to come along and try to reap the rewards of everybody who goes out and puts in the time, money, and effort of getting a buck to maturity and then just to poach him just drives me insane.
4984c7fff945eac4083760c1ec58009e.jpg
5e4b55408c77e13f4bde3eb2460ccd1e.jpg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
That sucks, hope they bust them.
Why didn't he start looking for the gun right away instead of waiting for morning? I'm sure it wasn't far.

It is a shame this thread took a left turn, but, block me in the middle of the road? You can count on my defense mode being the first thing that is going to happen.

Just keeping honest people honest. Believe I know, I'm from Polk county

Just keeping honest people honest. To bad it has come to this, but I understand. On the other hand, had a friend kill a monster this past week. They were pheasant hunting and jumped a monster that they have seen the last couple years. He was injured and not moving very well. They asked the land owner if they could go back home and grab their bows to see if they could put him down? They got the ok and started to track him and was able to put him down. He posted his luck on Facebook and within an hour he had a call from the DNR about a buck that was poached. the DNR officer said his phone blew up along with the officers phone in the next county and the tip line. The DNR officer knows my friend well and said I need to check it out. He scanned the deer and checked it for being killed with a firearm, they went to the field where it was killed and also spoke with the land owner. He was cleared for any wrong doing, but was told by the officer he should have contacted them after he killed the buck. Its not how he wanted to kill him, but he was going to die of his injuries in a day or two and may not have been found till shed season?

Why should he have contacted them. Other than calling in his harvest, there's no reason to. Did he state in his facebook post that they were bird hunting? If so, that would be the reason for all the calls.

Last edited:
That sucks, hope they bust them.
Why didn't he start looking for the gun right away instead of waiting for morning? I'm sure it wasn't far.

He said that they searched the area around the truck and the guy consented to his truck being searched of course no gun to be found in there. The deer was in a field next to lots of timber, I'm not sure of the timeline as to how much time they had to hide the gun, wish they would have brought a K9 in or something. I agree though, the gun couldn't have been far, landowner said they were down there questioning them for over 2 hours and the cops gave one of them a field sobriety check.

One another note I went to the locker and looked at the rack last night. Game warden happened to stop by and I talked to him a little, he didn't say a whole bunch but indicated that it would be hard to get the poaching charges to stick. He said with no gun, them not admitting anything, no one actually seeing them shoot, and not having the deer loaded on the truck didn't give them much to pin the charges on them. Said that it wasn't their first rodeo and they knew what to say and how to play the game. After talking to him I don't have much confidence that they will get anything other than a trespass ticket.

Deer grossed just under 170".

• Deleted by Obsessed
Show…
Top Bottom