Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Blackhorn shelf life

gundog870

Premium Platinum Member
I have had a tub of black horn powder for about 4 yrs or so. I can not remember if I even broke the seal on it or not, at any rate, the cap has always been on tight.

So I'm curious, how long do you guys trust this powder to store?

I've got a jar of Pyrodex I bought in 1987 that I'd still trust to hunt with, as the lid has been kept tight and stored in the house.

I know Blackhorn is a slightly different beast, just picked up my first container last fall, but won't worry about it for quite some time when stored the same way.

Blackhorn

I've got a bottle that is 7 years old and still knocking them down each year. Love this stuff!!!

Once opened, be careful how you store it. My buddy had blackhorn fail last year. Do in part to his fault, from having in vehicle, then in cold etc. He travels a lot, so it was definately in different climates. We couldn't figure out why his gun was so sporadic while sighting in last year. Turns out, powder was bad. Obviously got moisture in it. Test it had of time, when in doubt, throw out.

Once opened, be careful how you store it. My buddy had blackhorn fail last year. Do in part to his fault, from having in vehicle, then in cold etc. He travels a lot, so it was definately in different climates. We couldn't figure out why his gun was so sporadic while sighting in last year. Turns out, powder was bad. Obviously got moisture in it. Test it had of time, when in doubt, throw out.

They claim that it is not suppose to draw moisture... I think most failures with Blackhorn are due to breech plugs that aren't compatible with it, and or the wrong primers. I had a container of it that stayed in my truck for almost 2 full years and I tested it and it shot right with a brand new jug, not sure if that was an exception or the rule though... I guess the only way to know for sure is to test it

Top Bottom