Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Blood tracking dogs HF363

Lobbyist told me they (Ourth) added an amendment last minute, with no time for review so Natural Resources Committee has to review again.

Still waiting on the amendment language, but basically restricting hours that dogs can be used.

Certification is gone.

HF 657 is out of Committee. New language restricts tracking hours on public land only. No certification required.

Still waiting for new bill number and exact language, but this is worth being excited about and we’re really hoping to get things through this year.
Thank goodness this is long overdue!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I do see where the certification has been dropped but lines 5-7 on page 2 indicate a need for both dog and handler to be trained. A distinction with out a difference? Looks like they created a muddled mess. I hope it gets sorted out.

I do see where the certification has been dropped but lines 5-7 on page 2 indicate a need for both dog and handler to be trained. A distinction with out a difference? Looks like they created a muddled mess. I hope it gets sorted out.

We are assuming training can be done at home, just like the majority of hunting dogs are trained. A bunch of guys worried about non-issues, but despite 40 states without problems we can’t seem to convince certain key players.

It’s more an enforcement issue than a tracking issue, so I am ok with it. Don’t be an idiot and you won’t have a problem.

If folks are concerned it’s an unenforceable statement, then it will need clarification.

We are assuming training can be done at home, just like the majority of hunting dogs are trained. A bunch of guys worried about non-issues, but despite 40 states without problems we can’t seem to convince certain key players.

It’s more an enforcement issue than a tracking issue, so I am ok with it. Don’t be an idiot and you won’t have a problem.

If folks are concerned it’s an unenforceable statement, then it will need clarification.

Just spitballin' here...but couldn't the solution to the "training" issue be solved via someone with Microsoft Word and a laser printer? :) :)

Just spitballin' here...but couldn't the solution to the "training" issue be solved via someone with Microsoft Word and a laser printer? :) :)
Daver.jpg

We tried that when it came to certification. That wasn’t acceptable so we had to burst their bubble by having the only blood tracking judge in Iowa tell them he wasn’t interested in getting any busier.

So this is the “compromise” of the pencil pushers.

Got it, thanks.

Got it, thanks.
You bet. With all the coyote dog guys making everyone nervous I understand most folks want details, but we just can’t get everyone to agree, and of course we get to write what was introduced but have very little (less than I imagined anyway) influence on the language when legislators want to make changes.

I just want this thing passed before the coyote guys get everyone really riled up again. The folks who have been working on this a lot longer than I have say coyote hound drama is why this issue has taken this long, and I expect it’s only going to get more difficult.

Nailed it! :) :) :) OK fellas...as the "first in the state" authorized tracker, who's got one down and needs me and my dachshund to swing by for a little sweep of the timber? I will offer this service to my fellow IW's at a steeply discounted price of just $500. Step right up. :) :) I am official!

Better not blood trail with a shed dog certificate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nailed it! :) :) :) OK fellas...as the "first in the state" authorized tracker, who's got one down and needs me and my dachshund to swing by for a little sweep of the timber? I will offer this service to my fellow IW's at a steeply discounted price of just $500. Step right up. :) :) I am official!

Daver with your nose I wouldn’t give up your day job;)

Made it to the House Daily Debate Calendar.

This does not mean a debate and subsequent vote is imminent just that it is one step closer.

An amendment was filed today:

H-8060 Amend House File 2455 as follows: 1. Page 1, by striking lines 17 through 22 and inserting < any hour with consent of the property owner. A person using a dog >

This is how the bill would read if amended:

Using a dog to track a wounded deer on private property is permissible at any hour with consent of the property owner. A person using a dog to track a wounded deer outside of legal deer hunting hours shall not be in possession of a firearm or archery device. The commission shall adopt rules pursuant to chapter 17A to implement this section.

Current version:

Using a dog to track a wounded deer on private property is permissible at any hour with consent of the property owner. When using a dog to track a wounded deer on land designated for public hunting, tracking shall be restricted to 11:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. for a morning hunt and shall be restricted to no earlier than forty-five minutes after sunset to two hours before the opening of morning hunting for an evening hunt. A person using a dog to track a wounded deer outside of legal deer hunting hours shall not be in possession of a firearm or archery device. The commission shall adopt rules pursuant to chapter 17A to implement this section.

Looks like the amendment would take out all restricted times.

Link to the amendment:

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=H8060&ga=88

Top Bottom