Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bow setup for Toms

ironwood

My boys and I will be hunting spring Toms for the first time with our bows. I was just looking for in put as to the best setup. For instance, I intended to use the 100gr spitfire mechanicals,385gr total, I already have and shoot around 58-60# draw weight. One of my sons will be similar with 48-50# draw weight and my youngest with 85gr muzzie broadheads at about40#. Tell me what you seasoned turkey killers think.

ironwood

------------------

[This message has been edited by ironwood (edited 03-08-2002).]

Ironwood

I've always read that you need higher poundage to make mechanicals work properly, I don't think you'll have any problems but possibly your oldes might. Of course I don't know on turkeys, mechanicals seem to always work on them in videos and such. Your youngest may have some difficulty in getting penetration at only 40#, but when I started hunting I punched all the way through a deer when I was set at 40#. Personally I'd use those Muzzy's on all of your set ups! I love Muzzy 'heads, they leave wicked holes in birds especially if they stay in the bird while they flop around! Good luck to ya, keep the questions coming, if you don't ask you won't ever figure stuff out! I wish I had a site like this when I was younger.

Thanks for the response muddy, I thought may I had bad breath or the question did not make sense. I've been asking a lot of questions of the people I've met out at Central Iowa Archery in Des Moines. I may go to a head that cuts all the way to the point. Especially for my youngest with his lighter draw weight. I have really enjoyed this sight and the great exchange of info, stories and bad joke. I have bought a bow and a sold out Zach print, I've admired for a long time, from folks I've met right here. In front of me on my desk as I type I've got detailed plans for a home made cam tracker fitzt sent me. I'm not sure if I have that much ambition, but I am looking it over and considering making my own.

ironwood

[This message has been edited by ironwood (edited 03-14-2002).]

Thanks for the response muddy, I thought may I had bad breath or the question did not make sense. I've been asking a lot of questions of the people I've meet out at Central Iowa Archery in Des Moines. I may go to a head that cuts all the way to the point. Especially for my youngest with his lighter draw weight. I have really enjoyed this sight and the great exchange of info, stories and bad joke. I have bought a bow and a sold out Zach print I've admired for a long time from folks I've met right here. I front of me on my desk as I type I've got detailed plans for a home made cam tracker fitzt sent me. I'm not sure if I have that much ambition, but I am looking it over and considering making my own.

ironwood

Ironwood, although any quality broadhead that is well placed will be sufficient,I think the wide cutting mechanicals are the way to go with turkeys. You want your broadhead to do as much damage as possible, while penetration is not the issue it is with deer & other game. I've used 100 gr. Spitfires(1 1/2" cutting dia.) w/a adder behind the head in the past, but decided to go with the Rocket Hammerhead 4-blade this year because of the extra blade and 2" cutting diameter. I think the setups for you and your son(shooting 48-50 lbs.) are perfect for mechanicals on turkeys and your youngest son's is just fine shooting Muzzys.
Best of luck to you & your sons this spring!

TB

Top Bottom