Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bowhunting Iowas public Land

Hi everyone i am new to the board and was looking for some suggestions on Bowhunting Iowas public Land. I have been buying preference points since 2011 and currently have 5. I am wanting to apply in the next week or so but was looking for suggestions from residents to make sure i am making the best decision i possibly can. I am considering Zone 5 but willing to put in for anyone that offers the most and best opportunities for decent hunting and possibly primitive camping near bye. Anyone willing to suggest some Public Ground either on this thread or by PM? It would be greatly appreciated. I have looked at the interactive map for years now and have basically become more and more confused lol. I am just trying to have the best possible time i can for the one time i will probably ever go through this process and pay the price for the tag to experience Iowa. I am no stranger to Public Land as that's all i have ever hunted. Going in far and staying late is no problem. Thanks for any help in advance and good luck to all this coming season.

full

You should meet plenty of your neighbors there. Last time I drew in 2017 there was no shortage. I have hunted zone 5 public five or six times since 1990 as a NR. Scouted more than that. I highly recommend scouting if you have not done so. You would really be shorting yourself. The DNR closed down the only cheap hot showers on public 3 years ago, at Honey Creek. So that option is out. I just inherited the whole state for my facility inspection job so I’m jumping ship and will be scouting public in other zones with less pub. The hunting service magazines are killing the points required for the last 5-6 years. But I heard they just jacked the NR app fee to $60/year and the deer tag as well.

I've hunted public in zones 2,4,7,8, & 9. I've encountered good deer in all zones. I'm a resident so I have a lot more time to explore, but there's overlooked pockets of ground all over the state.

I've hunted public in zones 2,4,7,8, & 9. I've encountered good deer in all zones. I'm a resident so I have a lot more time to explore, but there's overlooked pockets of ground all over the state.

These are the spots I'm looking to find. I'm 14 1/2 hrs away from zone 5 basically so scouting before hand could be tough but not impossible if the chance presents itself.

You should meet plenty of your neighbors there. Last time I drew in 2017 there was no shortage. I have hunted zone 5 public five or six times since 1990 as a NR. Scouted more than that. I highly recommend scouting if you have not done so. You would really be shorting yourself. The DNR closed down the only cheap hot showers on public 3 years ago, at Honey Creek. So that option is out. I just inherited the whole state for my facility inspection job so I’m jumping ship and will be scouting public in other zones with less pub. The hunting service magazines are killing the points required for the last 5-6 years. But I heard they just jacked the NR app fee to $60/year and the deer tag as well.

That's a shame to hear about the showers as that would have been a big plus while hunting public. I ad been paying $50.00 I believe it was for my points and you are correct that they have raised it to $60.50 this year. Total cost is $644.00 this year.

U wimps!!! Me and my bro did 2 years in a tent & showered with a garden hose in cold!!! Ha!!!!
Finally went to motel “how much just to take a shower?” Good old days of being broke!!!

In S iowa.... the “main places” I drive past- it’s a circus. But- it’s also straight S of Des Moines -easy drive. Packed. I’ve never been on those but pretty obvious they are a Zoo. Imo- 60 miles ++ minimum outta Des Moines. If it were ME...... I’d literally scout 8-12 pieces (including ihap) & be ready to move around on 8-12 places. Some might look great now but explode with guys or pressure or no deer during season. Have tons of options imo.

Good deer are killed on public land in Iowa all the time. They can't tell who owns what piece of property and I have hunted private farms that get as much if not more pressure than some public spots. If you're hunting the rut it can be terrible for two days straight and the next 5 minutes are absolutely nuts. Weekends see a lot more pressure than during the week if you can swing that as well. I haven't hunted much public in Unit 5 so I can't give any specifics but they are out there. Good luck!

My advice, devote 2 weeks vacation time for your hunt. It took you years to draw so make it worth your while. Hunt numerous spots because public is incredibly dynamic from year to year when it comes to pressure and mature bucks. I'd watch some of The hunting public YouTube videos and use their style of hunting as a template. Those guys hop around constantly and bump into bruisers a lot. Somebody could tell you some good spots, but I think you'll be better off to go in and make your own conclusions based on what you see at the time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thank You very much for your advice it is greatly appreciated. My buddy has convinced me to hold off one more year and wait on him. He just purchased his 5th point this month so hopefully we can both draw next season. I will be headed to Nebraska October 22nd with 3 weeks off and then hit Missouri on my way back south. Hopefully the deer gods will be kind to me...lol...Thanks again to all who offered up advice !!...Good Luck this season

Top Bottom