Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

bowhunting

G

i have never hunted turkey but i would like to. have any of you ever bowhunted turkey and if so how does it compare to hunting deer.

Challenging to an extreme if you don't use a blind. Can't hunt from a stand as with a deer--some deer don't look up all that much, and most of the ones that do don't "pay attention" all of the time, so you can eventually draw. Or, if don't get an opportunity on one, most likely will on the next.

Turkeys do look up as much as anywhere else since danger does come from above, and from what I can recall they have a bigger cone of vision than a deer, so much harder to ever be out of their vision to draw. Finally, deer may come in singly, or just a couple whereas turkeys frequently come in multiples, so more eyes to see any movement.

OTOH, I think they're dumber than deer--once a deer decides something is suspicious, it doesn't seem to "let go", and also has more memory retention for next time. With turkeys, sometimes it seems like they have a short-time memory loop, if something seemly suspicious doesn't seem to be dangerous they forget it and go back into a normal routine (that's not to put down an old bird, who are as smart and wiley as anything--comment applies more to my experience with average animals).

With a blind, I think they're easier than deer, not as suspicious--have to do a better job of brushing in with deer.

I agree, you need a blind to make it easier. But if you want an all out challenge try it without a blind, those turkeys can pick off anything with their eyesight. In MY OPINION I think that turkey hunting is more laid back than deer hunting. I don't get too excited when a gobbler comes in hot but when a buck comes in hot to rattling I can't stop shaking. What I've found is that turkeys hardly break their daily routines at all during the year. The exceptions would be when it snows and when the snow melts. If you can get on a turkey feeding route all you have to do is sit there day after day and you'll get a show, it's about that simple. I'd better quit before this turns into a book, all in all, pattern the bird and set up on his daily path. If he's unresponsive one day he might be the next day the next week. Just be persistant and shoot straight!

i really appreciate your responses and insight.
grin.gif

I agree with muddy and cooper. If you want a real challenge try a gobbler with a bow, without a blind. I've taken six that way but it takes a lot of work and time. Many birds that would be a slam dunk with a gun are just another empty tag with a bow.

The last two I've shot out of blinds. It is much easier but still a challenge.

Also be very particular about shot placement. Make sure you know where the body cavity is and how to get there from various angles. There are a lot of places you can hit a gobbler without getting a fast kill. I've never had a blood trail I could follow so you want that bird to drop fast. Now I use an expandable with a BIG cutting diameter.

A decoy(s) is very helpful because it (they) distract the gobbler at close range so you have more time to draw without being seen. A deadly shot is to break the backbone while the bird is facing away from you.

Good luck and good hunting!
Old Buck

thanks alot Old Buck, your experienced insight gives me a great prospective. I'm sure i'll be picking your brains in the future. cluck cluck!
grin.gif
sorry about the name screw up.:O

[This message has been edited by primetime (edited 02-12-2002).]

Last year my wife and I were expecting a baby smack in the middle of turkey season, so I opted to get a bow tag that would be good for all four shotgun season, that way if the baby came early or late, I could still hunt whenever I wanted and not have to eat a shotgun tag.

I did it without a blind which was very difficult. I was unsuccessful, but it was perhaps the most fun I've ever had turkey hunting. I got busted a couple times, got to full draw a couple times, but never released an arrow. I can't give you any advice because I haven't figured it out either! But it was a ton of fun. No baby on the way this year, but I'm going to chase turkeys with a bow again anyway. I'm sure I could nail a turkey with a shotgun, but I'm addicted to a bow now.

Besides, it's really nice not having that pressure to fill your tag before one season ends and another begins!

This year my wife will be going out with me again, me with my bow and her with her 20ga. Does anybody else know how tough it is to get a babysiter to your house at 5:00 a.m.?

Top Bottom