Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassica Fertilizer

sau15

I’ve tried my hand at food plots this year. I planted Big and Beasty (Bill Winke and Midwest Whitetail sold me on it) and Biologic sugar beet mix. My PH is 7-7.5 on my 3-1/4 acre plots. After this rain we have gotten I’m getting good germination. I’m trying to get some clarification on fertilizer. My buddy who is a farmer uses triple 12 fertilizer but I’ve read that guys are using triple 19 and urea for brassicas.
I’m looking for help deciding which fertilizer to use, any help is much appreciated. Thanks fellas and best of of luck this fall.

Keep the fertilizer simple. If you’re doing that many acres, your farmer buddy should be able to get you in touch with a local coop and you can buy bulk. It’s going to save you a lot of money instead of overpaying for 50lb bags.

The numbers on the bag represent % of product. So 13-13-13 means 13 % Nitrogren 13 % Phosphorus 13% Potassium. N-P-K. So if you’ve got 50 lb bag of 13-13-13 you’ve got 6.5 units of N 6.5 units of P and 6.5 units of K. Same goes for 12-12-12 or 19-19-19. It’s all the same product just one has more or less % of the product in each bag. (More units less units)

Big and beasty calls for 300-400 lbs of 19-19-19. I hate that food plot companies do this. In the agriculture sector, we would just tell you that you need a 60-60-60 and let you run with whatever fertilizer you’ve got in your area. So basically anything will work as long as you get to your 60-60–60 total. Triple 13 or 19.

those bags are going to run you double or triple per unit compared to the coop to spread 3-4 acres. I would go in and check with them and tell them you wanna know a price on a 60-60-60 / acre for 3.5 acres.

Hope this helps. I’m a huge fan of big and beasty. My plots look awesome this year.

As Muddyrem said above.. Triple 13 or Triple 19 are just blanket catch all fertilizers (common in the residential lawn industry) just saying "put out an even amount of everything and you'll be covered" type of advice.

Since you known your pH, did you do a soil test? The real answer is to get a soil test but if you haven't done that at this point, just shoot for around 75# -100# of N / acre for brassicas and you'll be fine. Can do that through triple 13/19 bags + some form of N fertilizer or the route outlined above.

Btw, keep us posted on the B&B blend. I've heard a lot of good things.. I may play with an acre or two of that mix next fall.

Thanks for the reply’s.
For clarification I have 3 separate plots that are 1/4 acre in size.

I did a Ph test in each one with a tester you stick into the soil. I was getting readings of 7 to 8 on all the plots.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll keep ya updated on the B&B.

Thanks for the reply’s.
For clarification I have 3 separate plots that are 1/4 acre in size.

I did a Ph test in each one with a tester you stick into the soil. I was getting readings of 7 to 8 on all the plots.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll keep ya updated on the B&B.

misread the plot sizes, might be time to get those glasses bought! Stick with the 50 lb bags, small amount of product. Best of luck with the plots! Keep us posted.

Have you guys ever checked what you are getting in those high priced seed mixes? I see Big and Beasty has purple top turnips, I don't know the % but those turnips are $2.45 a lb. from Welter seed. The price I saw online for B&B was over $10.00 a lb. Kale and radishes and other brassicas are still not over $3.50 a lb. You can make a heck of a custom mix from Welters for a lot less and have it delivered. No, I don't work for them but I've been using them for years. Just trying to save you guys some bucks.

Have you guys ever checked what you are getting in those high priced seed mixes? I see Big and Beasty has purple top turnips, I don't know the % but those turnips are $2.45 a lb. from Welter seed. The price I saw online for B&B was over $10.00 a lb. Kale and radishes and other brassicas are still not over $3.50 a lb. You can make a heck of a custom mix from Welters for a lot less and have it delivered. No, I don't work for them but I've been using them for years. Just trying to save you guys some bucks.
I’ve planted some of those cheaper seed varsities. I understand they work. But IMO and from my experiences over the years. Big and beasty has out performed them 10 fold. I live in an area that fall rains can be super spotty. Seems like big and beasty takes way less moisture to germ and get out of the ground. I look at it just the same as I would corn and soybean seed. I would never plant cheap varieties. You get what you pay for IMO.

I’ve planted some of those cheaper seed varsities. I understand they work. But IMO and from my experiences over the years. Big and beasty has out performed them 10 fold. I live in an area that fall rains can be super spotty. Seems like big and beasty takes way less moisture to germ and get out of the ground. I look at it just the same as I would corn and soybean seed. I would never plant cheap varieties. You get what you pay for IMO.
Most of these mixes are coming from the same sources. Most of these companies blend them, handle marketing, and package.

I'm not sure about Frigid Forage, but many seed companies add seed coatings that aid in germination, something the local Co-Op seed doesn't have.. That could be part of the success more have with "some" BOB varieties..

Last edited:

I "get" this argument, good for ballers on a budget... When planting larger acreages, the local seed store option works well.

However, BOB mixes can be handy when planting smaller (1 acre or less) plots, especially when I can find one with 1) The exact mix I'm looking for and 2) From a quality seed source like Real World, etc.. Easy to "grab and go" vs sit there like a mad scientist mixing up the right seed concoction for a freaking 1/2 acre.. :rolleyes:

Besides, we can all make hamburgers at home but ..why does Steak n Shake stay in business ??

Well here you go, for all the Steakburger fans out there.. :cool:

BB mix.jpg

Last edited:
Just another option to keep in mind, especially when planting small plots...the local Theisen's store sells various seeds in bulk. You can make your own mix if you want to and the price is fairly reasonable, still quite a bit less expensive than BOB varieties. I source 90+% of my seed through a seed dealer, but recently planted a very small plot at my home, pretty much in the front yard :), and I used a pound or so of seed from Theisen's.

I cut that into a BOB mix, planted it and then saved the residual that I will use to fill in any weak spots in the brassicas at my farm this weekend.

Besides, we can all make hamburgers at home but ..why does Steak n Shake stay in business ??
For the Shakes. It's certainly not for dried out, flattened, roadkill burgers! :p:eek::cool::p

I have been doing Brassicas for about 8 years and the only major failure I had was when I used RWW Deadly Dozen. I texted the dealer and then tried to call him 3-4 times and he wouldn't return my call. He knew I was upset. I have used stuff I get from the local co-op and mix together prior to and after my Real World experience. Never had any issues with co-op radishes and turnips.

I'm not saying all of the store bought mixes are bad but what I found is that most stores don't have a big selection and never seem to have a combination that doesn't have something like Rye Grass in it. It's just simpler to go pay a fraction and fill half of my spreader with half radishes and half with turnips and be done with it. The savings is worth it to me.

I'm not saying all of the store bought mixes are bad but what I found is that most stores don't have a big selection and never seem to have a combination that doesn't have something like Rye Grass in it. It's just simpler to go pay a fraction and fill half of my spreader with half radishes and half with turnips and be done with it. The savings is worth it to me.

Yep! That's why I qualified my response with.. "when it's the exact mix I'm looking for".. Otherwise, I agree. Most of my plots are done mixing my own.. ;)

Last edited:
There you go. check Welter's. Every one of those seeds are available there. Sugar beets are a full season crop that give you nothing planted in the fall. Turnips are a much better option. Seed coatings are just lime and drastically cut the number of seeds per pound. Sorry guys but those fancy bags have no magic bullets. Dwarf essex rape is 1.80/lb. at welters and it's 20% of B&B. I haven't planted any rape seed for years. It doesn't get nearly as big as other Brassicas or turnips. I'm not saying B&B isn't good stuff, just that it's way over priced. Whatever, good luck guys.

For what it's worth, here's my mix from Welter's. Equal pounds of Appin Forage Turnips, Barkant Forage Turnips, Purple Top Turnips, Pasja Hybrid Forage Brassica, and T-Raptor Forage Brassica. Can't believe I just gave that recipe away!!

There you go. check Welter's. Every one of those seeds are available there. Sugar beets are a full season crop that give you nothing planted in the fall. Turnips are a much better option. Seed coatings are just lime and drastically cut the number of seeds per pound. Sorry guys but those fancy bags have no magic bullets. Dwarf essex rape is 1.80/lb. at welters and it's 20% of B&B. I haven't planted any rape seed for years. It doesn't get nearly as big as other Brassicas or turnips. I'm not saying B&B isn't good stuff, just that it's way over priced. Whatever, good luck guys.
I don’t think anyone’s disagreeing with you. But when you buy from Welters, are they telling you germination rates and when the seed was packaged? Honest question because I’ve never heard of them.

I’ve run into issues, specially at theisens where seed had very very poor germination. (bought it in bulk from their seed tenders) Found out later that they reuse old seed and carry it over year to year. A guy may have one chance at getting a plot in and having it be successful. I’ll be damned if I’m going to pinch pennies and save 20-30$ and risk poor plot because I went a cheap route on seed. I feel like there’s bit more backing behind those magic big buck on a bag seeds. They’ve taking the guess work out on ratios. We all know over seeding turnips or radishes can be a nightmare. Just my opinion from experiences planting successful plots as well as train wreck plots.

But when you buy from Welters, are they telling you germination rates and when the seed was packaged?

I believe they have to publish germination rates, noxious seed and inert ingredients like everyone else.

I would trust Welters as a source. Dbltree (and many others on here) used them for years with great success.

I've used seed from my local co-ops, Green Cover and Real World (BOB) with good success. I haven't seen much of a difference to be honest, maybe just try another source. I will say Green Cover has great germ rates, and extremely low noxious weed rates compared to comparing tags with my local seed / feed stores.

Btw, agree on your point on cost as well - seed is the cheapest part of food plotting.. So I could care less where I get it from as long as I trust the source.

Last edited:
Some pics of Welters' results:

Blind view.jpeg
Big plot.jpeg

This brassicas mix was planted in a drought. I don't think you need to worry about germination rates. Plus if you give Welters your "recipe" they will mix it for you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on that label pictured above it appears it was tested 7 years ago?

I understand wanting the best of the best but I have also learned not to fall for marketing hype. Turkey River's recipe cost 50 bucks for about 15 pounds plus delivery, which in Iowa is pretty much overnight.

But, it's whatever makes a guy happy.

Top Bottom