Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

I planted my brassicas today in WI. Planted about the same time last year with good results so figured I'd go for it.

I think MN, WI, etc could easily do them now. That's a pretty big growing timeframe difference. In lower Iowa, that's a big variance. ly Your winters are probably 2-3 weeks earlier and spring is 2-3 weeks later. I'm gonna guess if I had farm up there and down here, I'd guess and say I'd plant 2 weeks different. So, 2 weeks from now I'll have mine in down here. up there, I bet you pull it off perfect seeded today.
Sky- looks nice, you hurt my neck looking at pics but looks good!

I think MN, WI, etc could easily do them now. That's a pretty big growing timeframe difference. In lower Iowa, that's a big variance. ly Your winters are probably 2-3 weeks earlier and spring is 2-3 weeks later. I'm gonna guess if I had farm up there and down here, I'd guess and say I'd plant 2 weeks different. So, 2 weeks from now I'll have mine in down here. up there, I bet you pull it off perfect seeded today.
Sky- looks nice, you hurt my neck looking at pics but looks good!

This App hasn't ran well since I switched to an Android phone.

You guys are making me nervous. I don't plan to have mine in until early August

Totally fine.
I shoot for July 20-Aug 5 maybe. I start on the front end for a couple reasons.... If I run into a snag or broken equipment or weather problems, I still have a couple more weeks. I have a lot to do so I might start the 20th of July and not wrap up last plot til August 5 or even 10th at latest sometimes. Could adjust seed rate slightly for slight change to plant size, less seed, slightly bigger plants or vice versa depending on what you want. I'd stick with recommended rates just to be safe in any case though. There's a few sayings you'll hear with brassicas and probably fairly accurate in Iowa - "rain or shine, July 29" or a few others that still are within a few days of that. Just kinda nice to give yourself an actual mental calendar on when to do them and I kinda roughly shoot for July 20-Aug 5 but I sure can go later if I needed to and likely be ok.

You guys are making me nervous. I don't plan to have mine in until early August

You are good man, I have 2 weeks off before I start a new job. Not sure what my availability will be after July 20th so just trying to get everything in order. I did get them in a little late last year got flooded shortly after planting and didn't have time afterwards to really get anything done. I figure if same thing happens I will maybe still have a window to "fix" if need be.

I broadcast a couple acres of DER, PTT, and GFR yesterday on top of already damp ground. We were forecast to get at least an inch of rain but only ended up with 3 tenths. The ground wasn't freshly tilled but it was nuked and a lot of seed landed on bare soil. Did I get germination?!

I broadcast a couple acres of DER, PTT, and GFR yesterday on top of already damp ground. We were forecast to get at least an inch of rain but only ended up with 3 tenths. The ground wasn't freshly tilled but it was nuked and a lot of seed landed on bare soil. Did I get germination?!

Time will tell, but my sense is that you should be golden. The ground is so wet right now...broadcasting brassicas may be what we have to do this year. I have broadcast brassicas into less bare soils than what you described and then had less rain than you and still had a fair plot come out of it.

I have a 2 acre bean plot that was spotty (somewhat by design, I didn't have enough beans left, so I broadcasted them late to help maintain weeds) that got a brassica mix seeded into it yesterday, going to try and get another acre of brassicas in this week. I'll be a little early I think, but I think would rather put them in when I know rain is coming versus hoping on it later.

I didn't fertilize the over seeded beans- would any of you added N?

If I am only going to plant 3 pounds of radishes to the acre and no rape, how many pounds of turnips would you plant when broadcasting them?
Thanks

I planted our brassica plot on 7/18. We have received approx. 1/10th of rain since plating, will this be enough to get the seeds popping?

Some of the ground was wet due to 3.5" rain three days before planting.

I planted our brassica plot on 7/18. We have received approx. 1/10th of rain since plating, will this be enough to get the seeds popping?

Some of the ground was wet due to 3.5" rain three days before planting.

You won't need that 1/10th. Should be some up now.

Last brassica plot in and done today. Only put in T Raptor hybrid and left over purple top turnips.

20150722_205402_zpsfzgfvtok.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Top Bottom