Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Brassicas

Try lacrosse seed in Ankeny. Then, if no luck there- try the other heartlands or I'd call one of many coops by ur farm. Coops in almost every decent size town around so u got at least a dozen options in a small radius really.

I'm running a bit behind on these plots and got everything sprayed yesterday. The last bit was sprayed just after the sunset...hope I didn't waste time and money spraying at night without knowing if it dried or not. 41% gly and I went a bit heavy towards the end at 4 ounces to a gallon. Was mowed grass hay. First time spraying 2 acres with a backpack sprayed... Learned what works and what doesn't but won't start that here.

How quick have you guys been seeing your seed pop up?

Planted radish/rape/turnip mix Monday with fertilizer.....had rain Monday night, Tuesday night and Wednesday night ......

With damp, warm conditions like this seeds pop fast, I just had to retill and plant one of my plots again. I tilled it once,,waited for it to dry, to plant,,it did not. finally I just threw seed on top. It came up, but by then so did a new crop of healthy weeds. Weeds took over,,so till and seed again. Getting my exercise this year.:)

That fert kinda high there in Ankeny. 6-24-24. I bought more like $16 from places like Golden Furrow. They have changed hands, can't remember name now.$16 for 50lb bag anyway.

Guys wanting lower cost fertilizer, it's ALWAYS gonna be way cheaper at the coop in bulk. Obviously. Bags are "convenience". But, with how much I put down, there's no way I'm paying that much for that convenience. With how much I do, bags would actually be a nightmare. I just fill up a cart and drive. If I was "in the middle" for how much I was planting, I'd either bring some barrels to the coop to fill up OR I'd just pull the cart home with a truck and scoop out of it. So much cheaper.
Side note... Watch out for fertilizers that are for lawns "weed control", etc, etc - those have chemicals added. BY-BY Brassicas if you put lawn fertilizer down. Good luck, hope it dries enough for you all.

With damp, warm conditions like this seeds pop fast, I just had to retill and plant one of my plots again. I tilled it once,,waited for it to dry, to plant,,it did not. finally I just threw seed on top. It came up, but by then so did a new crop of healthy weeds. Weeds took over,,so till and seed again. Getting my exercise this year.:)

I think a lot of folks are like this at the moment. I won't get a spray in after a good disc and hoping the brassicas will outgrow the weeds

Can you just pull up to a coop and say ,,fill up a garbage can or somthin? I don't have acres of plots. Try to get by on plant rotation, and some fert.

Would anyone be willing to help me upload a photo of my brassica plot? I would like to share to get some opinions on how it looks so far.

Thanks!

I need some help! I'm looking to plant 2 micro plots. Both about 1/4 ac in size. The areas I'd like to plant, are 3 to 4 ft tall weeds and grasses right now. Ive got nothing but a walk behind brush hog and a walk behind garden tiller. What do I do this late in the game? Spray the areas with Roundup, wait a week and go in and till it up and seed? I'm scared the mulcher might not mulch it up too fine and I'll end up hand raking a bit.

All opinions and input will be very much appreciated!

I need some help! I'm looking to plant 2 micro plots. Both about 1/4 ac in size. The areas I'd like to plant, are 3 to 4 ft tall weeds and grasses right now. Ive got nothing but a walk behind brush hog and a walk behind garden tiller. What do I do this late in the game? Spray the areas with Roundup, wait a week and go in and till it up and seed? I'm scared the mulcher might not mulch it up too fine and I'll end up hand raking a bit.

Could mow spray and then burn. Then till.

Think...get that small seed onto bare soil. If the ground beneath your weeds is bare...mostly...you could broadcast into the standing weeds...letting the little seeds trickle down to the ground...mostly. :D. Then mow and spray. Not ideal...but can work...I have done exactly this with fair to even good germination.

If a lot of grass...much tougher...hard to reach bare soil. Keep in mind that although it is quite wet in a lot of places...preventing optimal brassica seeding procedures at this time...it is still only august 1...there are a solid 2-3 weeks left to go and still be in a good window.

Last edited:
I have done both on my place this yr. I broadcast seed into dead grass ,weeds. It came up alright in areas,,but at the time is rained constantly, so seed sprouted and kept going. I also rotto tilled dead, round-uped weeds and seeded, raked in and had a good rain right away. This always produces the best. If your ground is dry enough, I say rotto till. Mine was really too damp, say for an optimum garden spot, but for radish or turnip or rape, was OK. My tiller churns it up even if its damp!

Yea,,a walk behind tiller. It is self propelled, but you still get a work-out! Does a good job though,,even on heavy clay type soils.

As I said, had to till up an area that had radish and turnip up and growing in it. But weeds were taking over. Since new planting,,now need just a little rain to get it goin. After constant deluges for 3 months,,weather service is beginning to down play rain chances. This morn was a storm just west of me about 20 miles but it died. After all the moisture,,Ironic that I need just a little. I think we may have turned the corner on widespread deluges?

Top Bottom